I am loving this stage Cricket is in right now. I have enjoyed the uniqueness of each stage as it comes along, but so far this is the most interesting, rewarding and yes, the most challenging to date. She is awesome at being two. Sure, we have melt downs, crocodile tears and toddler negotiating tactics ("Just oooooone Cawa then beddy-bye."
Complete with one finger wiggling in the air and a big "pweeeeeease".) And, although some days are longer than others I love the challenge of it all. I firmly believe raising children is not for the faint of heart. They may be short people, but they are wise. Little people who will one day grow into our leaders. We work very hard to nurture her loving, creative and responsible little spirit. We don't always succeed, but through God's abundant grace and guidance we are doing our best.
In many ways Cricket has found her own voice - she loves Thomas and her engines and took to the them on her own. She has favorite books and activities that she chooses and other things that we steer her toward because they align with her interests or because they are interesting to us. It is not that she has to enjoy art or baking, but because those are my hobbies we have a lot of fun doing them together. Cricket is very tactile - she loves textures, manipulative toys and working with her hands (ie puzzles, the sandbox, her engines, etc.). Drawing and painting are fun activities we both enjoy and are drawn towards.
I bought some inexpensive canvases at Hobby Lobby at let her go at it. It is a nice reminder to me to let go of rules, and a clean table, and let her explore. I sit back and watch her go, creating the masterpiece she desires. She is so serious when she paints. Rarely smiling, but intent on her colors and playing with brushes and sponges. She lets me know when she wants a different color, or the canvas turned, and then is at it again.
 |
|
I see her growing and changing as she learns new techniques and is more aware of how a brush and paint work. She used to despise getting paint on her hands and has naturally learned to enjoy making hand prints or even painting her arm. I also see her learning things like sponge painting that she has picked up at school. She brings home many pretty sponge paintings of birds and shapes. She just adores when we hang them up for everyone to see. "I made that," she exclaims.
I love playing with this little one. It's a great chance to explore art, free form mess making and relationship building. The way we play with our kiddos is different for all of us, but I am so grateful to share my interests with Cricket. She is always up for a fun time. I think she senses my joy in art and has found her own voice, too.
 |
| (The only time she would look at the camera was when we were all done. I love the sincerity she shows in her painting projects.) |
My little Picasso has gladly stolen my paint brushes and my heart. I can't wait to play art with two little kiddos by my side. Oh, these blessings that I don't deserve but am so grateful to have received. My paint cup overflows with joy!
xo, Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment