Archive

Friday, March 29, 2013

Bunny Slipper Logic


Every day I get home, kick off my work shoes in the closet and put on my slippers. It’s one of my favorite “treats” of the day. Cricket often comments on my slippers. The other day she astutely told me, “Mommy slippers, Daddy shoes, TaTa shoes.” I never get tired of hearing her state the obvious. She is fascinating in her two year old wisdom.
Yesterday, Mr. Schalk told me that Cricket came home and went to the living room, took off her shoes and put on her bunny slippers. The bunny slippers I thought she had no interest in. It tickled me to see them on her little feet when I got home. I wondered if she was emulating my after-the-day routine.
Last night was a treat as Mr. Schalk declared it Cancun night. Although, Cancun is now Cabos Mexican Restaurant, which seems unfortunate except everything (even the menu) is the exact same. We started to walk to the car and I noticed Cricket still wearing her fuzzy pink bunny slippers. “Should I put her shoes back on?” I said aloud, already mentally going back in the house to get them. “No, it doesn’t matter. She likes her slippers,” Mr. Schalk replied.
Then, I realized how strung up I’ve been lately. I always thought I would be the laid back parent, emphasizing free spirits and creativity.  Yet, when I look at reality I would have definitely gone back to get her shoes. What if her slippers get dirty? Oh, gasp! When I did I become so uptight? I so appreciated Mr. Schalk’s easy going attitude. This was a fun outing – not one with rigidity and unnecessary rules. Who says you can’t wear bunny slippers to the Mexican restaurant? Cricket had a great evening and I can bet was the most comfortable of the three of us.
For the record, she also threw her first coin in a fountain. It was a big fountain in the middle of the Mexican restaurant that she desperately wanted to leave her booster seat and explore. “Go play! Go play nowwwww….pwease,” she begged. Well, she got go play. And, throw a coin in the fountain like she’d been doing it her whole life. Here’s hoping her wish is that Mommy relaxes a little and learns to enjoy the simple pleasures of each day…bunny slippers and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!