Archive

Friday, October 19, 2012

Dear Cricket: Love Wins

lunch date

Dear Cricket,
I met you and Nana for lunch today. At first it started out to be a stressful lunch. I was trying to remain calm, but I was hungry, hurried and tired. I loved being with you and Nana, but inside I felt like I didn't have my act together. Then "Gwyneth" sat in the booth beside us with her mother and two adorable kids. And, then I did something I hope you never do...I compared. Darling, please do not ever let comparison steal your joy. I saw you studying the little girl in the next booth, and inside I begged you to never doubt the pure gift of your joy. May you never have to subdue your God given enthusiasm because of others. God made you perfectly unique and wonderful. Promise!

I tried to stop comparing because the reality is that what I have is perfect...for me. I am not a perfect person, or perfect to love. My life is not perfect (how boring would that be?!). But, I am perfectly your Mama, you are perfectly you and we were perfectly engaged in the moment.

That is when the magic happened. (Also known as Jesus reminding me what really matters). You were making the best eye contact as we ate, laughed and interacted. You ate like a champ - mashed potatoes, broccoli and cantaloupe. You were so happy. You waved Lovey around like a flag for the world to see. "Look, I'm a happy baby. I don't have a proper bib (napkin stuffed in your collar) or kiddo silverware (adult spoon and mom giving me food via her fork), but I'm HAPPY! I'm laughing and playing and engaging with my people. This, world, is the LIFE!"

My heart was so full. I did not need anything more than us in that moment. I didn't need Gwyneth's fancy ziploc bags stuffed with every color of fork, spoon and straw in the world. I had the prize. I had you, my darling. Your sweet 20 month old self who merely wanted to go back and forth for hugs. You said, "Mama huggie" then "Nana huggie" then shoved Lovey in your face for a "Lobie huggy." As we exchanged hug after hug I thanked God for the moment and especially for you.

Why does the world think they get to tell us what matters? Pinterest doesn't matter. Things don't matter, no matter how brightly colored they are or how loud they shout at us. Comparison certainly does not matter.

Love matters.

That my dear, is Scripture. That is Truth. The world could crumble but if we have love, we win. Every single time.

Love you, baby girl. Thank you for your pure, unadulterated joy. I delight in you!

Love, Mama

1 Corinthians 13:8 - Love never fails.

1 John 4:7&12 - Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. ... No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

#embracethecamera

1 comment:

  1. Such a tender post Rachel. You are a wonderful mother. I love your thoughts. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!