Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo.
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
"Song for a Fifth Child"
- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton
(Originally published in Ladies' Home Journal, 1958)
What a wonderful poem! It sums up my heart's desire perfectly - to enjoy each moment of Cricket's life because babies truly do grow up so fast. I want to be present as soon as my feet hit the door. Yes, it's hard to balance life. Yes, I almost always wish my house was cleaner, dinner was easy and I had no worries. If life were that easy would I still appreciate these blessings that are found when I take a deep breath, let go of the stress and live? It feels good to work hard and know that I am giving my whole heart to my family.
My mama and I often talk about the fact that I won't ever regret any time spent loving and playing with Miss Cricket and working on a solid marriage of love and respect with Mr. Schalk. All time invested in family is worth far more than all the money (and clean houses) in the world.
So, my housework may never be fully caught up, dinner may be semi-homemade and blogging may take a back seat. But, for all of that I can guarantee that songs will be sung, kisses given in abundance and games played until it's time to rest our heads. Thank you Miss Ruth for feeling the same way I do. And, thank you to my mama who always took the time to play with me.
xoxo, Rachel






Wonderful photos of Miss Cricket who is getting so big!! I LOVE the poem! I look forward to spending time with my new grandbaby due in April and will definitely let the other stuff wait too!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. My dear Mother did the same when I was growing up!
I love this post and that poem. It was a familiar one to me growing up.
ReplyDeletethat first pic of Cricket looks like its @ Shakertown...been there recently?? love pic & place!!! Diana A
ReplyDeletebeautifully said. my sentiments exactly.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post Raquel. Time flashes by far too quickly. Enjoy every moment of time with Cricket and Mr Shalk that you can. xxoo
ReplyDeleteThank you all for the lovely comments! It is so nice to have friends who understand. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, Diana we were in Shakertown a couple weekends ago. Just as lovely as always! :)