Archive

Monday, August 15, 2011

Birthday Love


IMG_1212a

I had a birthday a couple weeks ago and lest my lack of posting give you the wrong idea it was the best {adult} birthday ever! I qualify adult because who can really compare to kiddo birthdays? They are an art form all their own.

This year was fantastic. It was a birthday filled to the brim with love and thoughtfulness. It truly felt like a day just for me (even if it did fall on a work day). Days like that are few and far between so I enjoyed each special moment. It was a nice reminder that I am still Rachel and not just Mama. Mama is an extra special honor, but that doesn't mean that I have to let the rest of me fall by the wayside. Balance is a skill I am learning little by little.

via bOmode

My sweet in-laws bought me this extra special purse I hearted on Etsy (all the way from South of France!). So thoughtful! My boss decorated my office and went over the top with lunch, balloons surprises and kind words. My lovely mama showered me with all kinds of fun from streamers, to my favorite Texas sheet cake to sweet gifts like this gorgeous piece of embroidered vintage fabric.

IMG_1209
SO pretty and so "me"

Mr. Schalk...well, Mr. Schalk outdid himself. He was so excited the weeks leading up to my birthday, which made it great fun. It's not that I needed a big to-do for my birthday. I was ready for a low key day with maybe an extra cookie (or twelve...I do love cookies). He just seemed to know that I would appreciate a little extra love and attention. When my birthday came it was just a great day all around. Mr. Schalk had the sweetest card and a card from Cricket (love!) and lots of though out gifts. A flash for our camera to take awesome portrait shots, the sweetest Happy Birthday tea cup for my collection (he knew how much I liked this one and scoured shops until he found one that was similar - and even sweeter if you ask me), some gorgeous earrings via etsy, surprises galore and this...

IMG_1204a

A sewing machine!!!

My very own lovely sewing machine. I had been eying this one for a while. It is a basic model so I can learn to use it without investing a small fortune. Yet, it has all the necessities to really dig in and learn to sew well. I had a couple hand me downs before, but they both ended up breaking before I could use them much. This one was so easy to set up and start tinkering with.


My mama bought me this book to help me get started. I know the simple basics, but I have wanted to really learn to sew for a long time and this book is straight forward and easy to learn from. Not to mention the layout of the book is gorgeous. She matched the fabrics in her photos with the chapter colors to make it a real visual treat.

IMG_1207

I have always felt guilty that one of my love languages is gifts. It is not that I need/want a lot of things around the house or feel that things bring happiness. It is more the thought behind gift giving. When someone gives me something tangible, whether it's 25 cents or 25 dollars, it tells me they love me. It shows me that they heard me and took the time to know my personality. It's the thought behind gifts that mean the world to me. Gifts of time, gifts for hobbies and most of all gifts that say "I love you." Those make my heart spin round and round!

I can't wait to dive into my new hobby. I am hoping that my evenings will get into a routine where I will have a couple hours with the Mister to sew and get lost in a creative escape again. This Mama is ready to be energized creative style!

xoxo, Rachel

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had such a fantastic birthday. You are beautiful : ) Wishing you the happiest year of sewing and flashing ; ) and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Good luck with the sewing machine! I have a similar Brother one and I love it - so easy to use! You'll have to share some of your projects on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay a sewing machine! can't wait to see your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated birthday!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with friends and family showering you with love. Can't wait to see what you do with your new sewing machine!!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!