Archive

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chef Schalk & The Ladies

What a memorable weekend. We didn't go to a swanky restaurant, although we did enjoy quite an upscale dinner. We didn't meet any celebrities, although I did rub elbows with my favorite people. We didn't travel the world, but I was right where I belong.

IMG_8455a

Mr. Schalk decided to celebrate Father's day a little early and make an extra special meal for us. It felt more like Mother's Day since I was the lucky recipient of his fine culinary adventures. I apologize to all the vegetarians out there for the next set of photos. Chef Schalk planned, prepared and photographed this meal perfectly. It would be a shame not to share these man-style images with fellow beef aficionados. It is the prettiest piece of beef I've ever seen, but if you're not into that kind of thing just look at the cute baby.

IMG_8291
Mmmm, dinner!


IMG_8405

Mr. Schalk went to his favorite butcher, Joe, and got a grass-fed organic porterhouse steak. That is a tenderloin on one side and top loin on the other. In other words, heaven on a plate for this beef lovin' lady.

IMG_8462

Just a little snack, dontcha know? Just kidding! This actually comprised two meals each for the both of us. I means seriously, folks, this is the biggest piece of beef our grill has ever seen. I think I saw it sag a little when Mr. Schalk put it on the grate. Thank you Mr. Weber for doing your job to a "T" (pun completely intended).

IMG_8480

Dinner is served! Steak with red wine mushroom sauce, parmesan fried potato medallions and PW's creamed spinach. I cannot even describe to you the marriage of flavors that occurred in my mouth. Is there anything better to dine on than steak, mushrooms and creamed spinach? This is a once-a-year feast for the taste buds (and sooo worth eating salads all week). Happy Father's Day to me! Uhh...I mean to Mr. Schalk!

IMG_8391a
Dinner was not the only highlight to the weekend. You're not seeing double, there are two lovely bichons in our yard. Bonnie had her sister, Breezy, over to play while my parents took a mini-vaca. All weekend I referred to these two as "The Ladies" because they were always together. The Ladies played in the yard and The Ladies ate dinner beside one another and The Ladies enjoyed an afternoon car ride. It was pretty darn cute!

IMG_8441
The Ladies ruled the roost (or so they thought...we didn't want to be spoil sports and let them know the truth.)

IMG_8406
The Lady and my little lady share an afternoon chat.
"Why yes, they clean up after me, too." Nice Ladies...real nice!

IMG_8490
These oatmeal bars make great gifts for neighbors and family. They also make a great late-night treat (because a HUGE steak is just not quite enough for this nursing mama....oh my!)

What a fantastic weekend! Not only was the company and food out-of-this-world but the weather was just gorgeous. It cooled off to the 70's on Sunday. After we put Cricket to sleep, we slipped on jackets and enjoyed the evening on our deck in the glow of our tiki torches. It was sublime!

Just goes to prove that weekends at home can be chock full of memories. Here's to Chef Schalk and The Ladies for making it one for the books!

xoxo, Rachel

P.S. Thank you for visiting and reading my weekend ramblings. You will want to come back on Wednesday as I am having a giveaway-ish of sorts. It's going to be great, trust me!

6 comments:

  1. i'm a beef girl, so you had me at the first picture. :) YUM!!!! everything about that meals sounds absolutely amazing! i'm so glad you had a nice relaxing weekend. we did very similar activities over here with the cooler temperatures as well--we grilled and had family over and relaxed in our backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the BEST picture of the meat! It just made me totally smile. I LOVE the ladies too. How positively fun : ) Glad your weekend was fantastic. Who needs celebrities when you have the ladies and your sweet baby and Mr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfectly wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The meal looks AMAZING! Recipes for the potato medallions & bar cookies, please!
    2. The Ladies are absolutely adorable! Nothing like sisters getting together for a visit!
    3. Do you "rent" out the Chef or Cricket???

    I LOVE reading your posts! Hope to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Rachel! I love your photos of Cricket and also Bonnie and her sister. That meal looks fabulous as well! Yummo!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have my mouth watering! So when are you going to have your blogger friends over for Mr. Schalk's dinner? ;)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!