Archive

Monday, February 7, 2011

Cricket's Bird Mobile

IMG_3531

When we first found out I was pregnant I began researching nursery pretties online because that is what mamas-to-be do, right? I knew that I wanted a mobile that was unique and whimsical. As I began looking around I was shocked at the price tags of some of my favorites. Then, I thought, "I could make one...I'm feeling all nesty and such...I shall have a go!" And that is what I did...

...for the next 3 months. Perhaps it took longer, my memory is not what it used to be. I had daydreamed for a long time with two different ideas in my head depending on if the bambino was a Bakerella or a Bakerfella.

I really liked this bird mobile from blabla kids. However, I'm rather cheap and $110 is SO far out of my price range for a mobile. My little mobile costs around $15 total. Score!

IMG_3580

IMG_3527

I began with hand sewing the birds. I found a great pattern and inspiration from Spool and had a ball sewing these little birdies in the evenings after work.

IMG_3593

My dear friend Ashley even sewed a bird during a tea party I had the pleasure of hosting last fall. I wanted to include this special birdie on the mobile and decided to perch him right on top. I can't wait to let Cricket know her "Aunt" Ashley made it especially for her.

IMG_3537

I bought the largest embroidery hoop I could find (with a coupon it was $2 at JoAnn's) and wrapped some pretty brown string around it.

IMG_3526

The string is very special. It is the same string I used to tie Mr. Schalk and I's wedding invitations (they were vintage post cards reworked via Illustrator & Photoshop to become our personal invites). I could never part with the extra and found a perfect use here. I wanted it to look natural and soft and was thrilled to be able to tie together two special times in our lives.

IMG_3538

Finally, I cut out leaves from felt and hand sewed the veins with green thread. I glued them to the outside of the hoop with craft glue.

IMG_3672

Mr. Schalk put a hook in the ceiling and we attached the mobile with brown ribbon. Voila!

4_IMG_3678

I am very pleased with Cricket's bird mobile. Now, little girl, if you'd like to make your debut and see the mobile, made with love just for you, that would be superb! All in God's perfect timing...but this mama is excited!

Happy Weekend Friends!
xoxo, Rachel

14 comments:

  1. Just darling! Such a unique and special piece. Cricket will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an amazing job on this project. I actually like it even better than overpriced inspirational mobile! Baby Cricket will definitely love looking up at this treat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! I can't believe all the work, time and love you put into it. It means so much more to know that you made it, rather than just buying the expensive ones you like. I'm sure you thought of the Cricket the whole time you were making it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful creation!! So creative.

    I can't wait to see little Cricket. Very soon. Hope you are resting and taking care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the most beautiful mobile I have ever seen....what an heirloom this will become!!! Looking forward to hearing the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mobile is so precious and special :o) You did a beautiful job and what a wonderful mobile for your little one to look at every day and be reminded of her mother's love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much! It was so much fun making knowing it was for our baby girl. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely precious! And so sweet that you made it all yourself, what an awesome touch to Cricket's nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely. You did a wonderful job. I have been thinking of and praying for you all weekend. Hope you are doing well and you are holding your bundle now. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ADORABLE!!! Keeping you close in thought and prayer as you awake the blessed arrival of your sweet baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is darling! Good for you on making it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. RAchel, that is soooo sweet! I just know she will love it. Anyone would love it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful. adorbale. incredible. i wish i were you!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!