Archive

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

BOTW: Cricket's Nursery

Before I begin, I just want to say THANK YOU to all my sweet readers. Your comments mean the absolute world to me! Full of love, joy and sweetness. You all are the best and really make this mama-to-be feel encouraged and uplifted. As excited as we are, there is a tinge of anxiety and nervousness (natural, right?) associated with the adventures ahead. So, with a mere two weeks (or less, please) until we meet miss Cricket your prayers and comments are a HUGE support. Thank you times a million! xoxo

Well, it's a big day on BOTW (Baby On The Way) Week. The nursery!

Mr. Schalk and I had a vision in our head for Cricket's nursery. Well, truth be told I had a distinct vision that Mr. Schalk was graciously on board with and then maximized beyond my wildest dreams. Mister is great that way! He took my ideas and built upon them to create a beautiful nursery that is the perfect mix of Pride & Prejudice, shabby chic and little girl daydream influences.

What makes this nursery even more enjoyable is that we accomplished our vision on a very modest budget. I splurged on a couple items, as you will see, but honestly most things were amazingly generous gifts, hand me downs, or thrifted at antique and resale shops. We like to think it's a one-of-a-kind nursery for our one-of-a-kind girl.

So, without further adieu here is Cricket's nursery...minus the most important piece...our little bambino. She'll make her debut in "due" time.

1_IMG_3601
Welcome!
We put Bonnie's seat in the room so she could get adjusted. We find her here all the time, which is hopefully a good sign.

2_IMG_3775
Mr. Schalk found a beautiful folk art calendar and had the brilliant idea of framing each month as it comes along. This photo doesn't do it justice. The paintings are quite lovely. You should see the October one, it is full of adorable kiddos and pumpkins!

3_IMG_3690
Here is our little nursery. Yes, we have a bed in the nursery. It and the dresser were mine growing up and my parents were kind enough to pass it down. I am thinking the bed may come in handy for quick naps or just another place to read books together.

4_IMG_3678
Mr. Schalk put up crown molding and the most beautiful chair rail in an egg and dart pattern. I'm telling you, everyone needs a Mr. Schalk in their lives! The mirror was my Grandma and Grandpa's and hung in their kitchen. It was gold and we painted it white, letting some of the gold come through.

IMG_3722
Lovely!

5_IMG_3692
Vintage dresses from a local antique store, etsy art, super comfy chair via Amazon and more!

6_IMG_3708
This postcard is extra special because Mr. Schalk and I bought it on our honeymoon in Montana over 5+ ago. The colors were perfect for Cricket's room and we can't wait to share stories of Glacier with her.

7_IMG_3785
Sweet Etsy art from Trafalagar's Square. This one is called "Our Book Club."

8_IMG_3557
Mr. Schalk had this lamp/night light in his room as a kid. Isn't it wonderful? His mom kept it and let us have it for Cricket's room. It was quite tricky finding a shade that fit, but I think we did pretty well.

9_IMG_3554
Detail of Mr. Schalk's lamp. The window is a little night light that can be turned on separately.
Cricket is going to love having Dad's special light!


11_IMG_3781
Oh, how I adore dogs. This was pillow cover was a complete splurge (although, I did wait until it was on sale). I just adore the pup parade! It will go on the bed when the bambino gets here, but for now it looks nice in the crib next to the blanket my mama made her.

12_IMG_3782
Another illustration from Trafalgar's Square. Sleeping girl on a tree bed with books and a bunny. Can we say perfection?!

13_IMG_3783
Detail of our curtains and a close up of the pretty pillowcase dress from the uber gorgeous Liz.

14_IMG_3660
Sweet onesie from Brandon's co-worker April. It's actually part of a super adorable outfit she and her hubs got the bambino. We put it in the crib to imagine just how tiny miss Cricket is going to be when we bring her home. Our little chicky is already so loved!

16_IMG_3569
I adore birds and all things nature. My wonderful friend Cheryl saw this beautiful wax bird (that has an LED light inside and glows the most peaceful shade of blue) and gave it to us as a baby shower gift. This is one of my favorite parts of the nursery. It is so thoughtful and lovely! She definitely knows my style.

17_IMG_3779
Remember these wooden cars from this post? We bought them in Shakertown right after we found out miss Cricket was a girl. They are in the bookshelf, too, waiting for her to be old enough to play with them.

18_IMG_3778
Had to put Bonnie in the shelf, too. Or, at least a pretty good look alike!

10_IMG_3696
Thank you so much for touring Cricket's nursery with us. It is a wonderfully peaceful room full of the our special touches. We hope our baby girl likes it as much as Mr. Schalk and I do!

IMG_3580

Next up on BOTW Week is a closer look at the bird mobile above the crib. It was my special project for the nursery. I'm not an A+ student at crafty follow through, but this was an exception. I actually finished a project! I can't wait to share the details with you.

xoxo, Rachel

18 comments:

  1. Love the peak into the nursery. Little Cricket is going to love her room! So precious, all of the details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my-- love it! the details are just perfect. i especially like the lamp and the pillow. and a bird that glows? woweee.

    great work! cann't wait to meet the little miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,Thanks for the tour into your beautiful nursery, WoW I love how calming, chic and inviting it looks. Love the color! You have acheived a nursery that radiates with all your love. A special Room for a precious baby cricket.
    Many Blessings, Debroah

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were a baby, I would LOVE coming home to this room!! How precious that you have incorporated items from Mr. Schalk's childhood, your Grandparents mirror, a honeymoon treasure and your artistic flair as well! The stories you will have to tell Baby Cricket! I can't wait to see her in her beautiful surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the love that you put into making this nursery shows through sooo much!
    Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet nursery. Love how you incorporated so many pieces with special meanings! And you're right, it looks SO peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is perfect. What a beautiful place! Very, very excited for you. I can hardly wait! That calendar idea was so good! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your nursery is beautiful Rachel. I love every detail. You are due the same time as my baby girl. She has not shared anything with me as she chose to cut me out of her life several years back, but I have been sort of keeping up with what must be going on throughout her pregnancy through what is going on in yours! Thank you for that! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your nursery! Everything looks so peaceful and cozy. All of the little touches from both you and your hubby are so sweet. And, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the wax bird. How unique.
    I had a bed in one of my children's nursery's and used it all of the time. You will love it on those occasional nights when baby is up a lot. :)
    ENJOY every moment of anticipation,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. The nursery is SO cute, I would live in there! I love the color scheme and the vintage feel! Can you come decorate my house before Cricket arrives? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing nursery pictures! So lovely. You definitely captured Pride & Prejudice while also weaving in your baby love. How precious! I love the Glacier postcard. I collected some similar ones during my trip out west this past summer. Even got a few from Parks Canada. Love them! Happy nesting and praying for you to have perfect peace ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks lovely! Very stylish without being over the top - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! You showed us your nursery! I absolutely love it. You have great style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, thank you ALL so much for your lovely comments! I'm thrilled that you like our little nursery. It was so much fun to put together and I couldn't wait to show you all, my friends! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have stopped multiple people and told them, "you have to see my friend's nursery!" it's just stunning. please come design mine someday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a very sweet nursery! Can't wait to see pictures of a baby in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, Rach! Thanks for showing all the pictures! I can so imagine this room for your little one! It's exactly what I would picture you designing! I'm so excited for little Cricket to arrive! Not too long now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love looking at these pictures you should upload more (:

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!