You know what the nice thing about having your own little blog is? You get to call the shots! Whoopee! Therefore, I deem this "Baby On The Way" week at A Cupcake for Moose. Or BOTW for short. Isn't that fabulous? (Answer = yes).
Lets kick off BOTW Week with a story.





Lets kick off BOTW Week with a story.

When I was a kiddo I had a special brown teddy bear bowl. It was a ceramic bowl with a sweet little bear face. His mouth opened into the bowl so you could "feed" him breakfast as you were eating yours. I absolutely adored this bowl. I'd take a bite and give bear a bite (which would go back in the bowl and ultimately be mine for the taking...double score!). It was the best little bowl in the world. I would feed him cream of wheat and apple jacks and all kinds of bowl worthy goodies. All was bliss...

...until I accidentally broke the bowl. It chipped or the mouth broke or something along that line and mister bear bowl had to go bye-bye. It was a sad day. Yet, I never forgot how much I enjoyed that little bowl or my bear friend. It was such a beloved piece.

With a little girl of our own on the way I thought it would be ever lovely to have a bear bowl just for her. The only problem is that I did not know the brand of the bowl and was having such difficulty tracking anything down that was even remotely similar. Seriously, do you know how hard it is to find a bear bowl from the 80's that you can feed? Queue in my own personal crackerjack research guru...

...my mama! Little did I know she had been looking for months for this very bowl! Page after page of bowls and vintage items knowing that one day she would find it. Do you know how many hundreds (probably thousands) of pages she had to go through on all kinds of various sites? A LOT! She has determination the size of Texas and a heart a million times that big!

So, as you can probably guess where this story is going, she found the bowl! On Etsy, no less. We all know how my heart goes pitter patter for Etsy. Such a lovely community. My sweet mama surprised us this weekend with a bear bowl just for Cricket! I was utterly speechless (which does not happen very often, as you can imagine).
My mama found the coolest bowl ever at a very kind gentleman's Etsy site, WaterBetweenStones. The story was that his family was having a debate on exactly what this bowl was, a soap dish or children's cereal bowl. Well, my mama snatched up that amazingly affordable treasure lickity split and told him the whole story of my favorite bear bowl. I think he got a kick out of our love for the sweet bear bowl.
He is such a kind man and even threw in a couple extra treats for Cricket. So kind and quite adorable!
Now Miss Cricket has a bear bowl of her very own! Her mama's was brown and now she'll have a cheery yellow one.
Aren't mamas special?! Yes, indeed! Special beyond words!
xoxo, Rachel




Just wanted to let you know, I always enjoy reading your sweet, sweet posts :o)
ReplyDeleteThat was very sweet of your mom :-)
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Mamas are so special. I love your bear bowl. And I love that this is Baby on the Way week. I can't believe this is it! Very excited for you. You will be in my prayers all week! Love, Becky
ReplyDeletePS Thank you so much for your very, very sweet comment at Farmgirl paints. What a lovely comment. You made me feel special!
Oh that is just the sweetest thing!!
ReplyDeleteRachel, I needed a smile this morning and you did that for me. I am grinning from ear to ear. What a lovely world we live in. I am so happy that the cricket will be able to eat her cereal from a bear bowl like her sweet mama did! xxoo
ReplyDeleteRachel, what sweet bear bowel...ADORABLE! You are gonna be a Great mom. Love resignates in all your post about cricket. Prayers for a safe and speedy delivery. Many blessings, Deborah
ReplyDeleteYou have a very special Mom....who loves her very special BOTW Mom!!!
ReplyDeleteRest up for the exciting, upcoming birth of a very special Baby Schalk!
Give Mr. Schalk our very best too!
Do you know where I can buy this bowl?
ReplyDeleteWe bought this bowl on Etsy (www.etsy.com) from a wonderful seller called Water Between Stones (http://www.etsy.com/shop/WaterBetweenStones?ref=pr_shop_more). You may be able to find a similar bowl on Etsy or ebay. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWanted to share - I love my bear bowl! I recently found MINE from the 80s for my sweet boy to eat out of - it was SO much fun watching him eat his dinner out of it last night. It's brown with chips - easy to tell it was well loved. And now it has new life! Hoping I can find a second now that Baby #2 is here! So glad you found one for your Cricket. :)
ReplyDeleteMy two children (now ages 29 and 32) each had a "Feed the Bear Bowl". They loved them, but both bowls eventually got broken. Now I'm looking for one for my grandson. That's amazing that you mother found one for Cricket!
ReplyDeleteDoes anyone know where I can find one of these iv been looking for one for a very very long time please let me know if anyone can help thank u :)
ReplyDelete