This weekend was full of beautiful snow, yummy food and great company. Mr. Schalk made his famous lamb shanks again with gruyere au gratin potatoes and broccoli for my mama and me. Oh my goodness, sooo delicious! I never tried lamb shanks before his took a stab at it last spring. Perhaps you remember the not-so-good night story that accompanied our first lovely lamb dinner? Since then, they (the lamb, not Bonnie's misadventures) have become one of my favorite dinners. They are the most tender, full-of-flavor meat ever! He got the recipe from The Professional Chef...his personal favorite recipe book. Gotta love a man who tackles dinner and the kitchen like a pro! Did I mention he bought the groceries and made the entire dinner while my mama and I were shopping? Impressive!
Thanks Mr. Schalk! My mama, the bambino and I are extremely grateful for your mad cookery skills. You are a regular Jamie Oliver!
Despite Bonnie's bad behavior during the first lamb go around I thought she deserved a special treat for the holiday season. So, I cracked open a different sort of recipe book...Michele Bledsoe's The Doggy Bone Cookbook.

These biscuits are called "Smaller Collar Diet Bone" but truthfully I am not sure what is so "diet" about them. I chose this recipe because I had all of the ingredients on hand and we thought Bonnie would like them. She loved them so they get an A+ from me. Here is my version....

Mmmm, puppy biscuits! Super easy and makes a great Christmas gift for your favorite four-legged friend!
Bonnie's Biscuits
makes ~ 2 1/2 dozen
the goods:
1 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup milk (I used 2% but would usually use skim...grabbed the wrong kind at the store...oops)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
the how-to:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cheddar cheese and flour.
- Add milk, butter and beef broth.
- Knead dough until firm and roll out to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut out with favorite cookie cutter (I used a dog bone and small biscuit cutters) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for ~25 minutes until light brown and cracker crisp. Let cool.
- Give to your favorite pup and watch them go crazy with biscuit joy!

Mmmm, puppy biscuits! Super easy and makes a great Christmas gift for your favorite four-legged friend!
Pardon the belly. Miss Cricket likes to make herself known.
Bonnie was so excited to get a bit of biscuit. In fact, she was in the BEST mood all day. Was it the biscuits, the Colts win or the general Christmas anticipation? I say all of the above!
Bonnie was so excited to get a bit of biscuit. In fact, she was in the BEST mood all day. Was it the biscuits, the Colts win or the general Christmas anticipation? I say all of the above!
Is she giving me the eye?
Happy Christmas week my friends! I am sure we will all be doing less blogging and more family time during this special week. So, if I am not back before the weekend I pray you all have a blessed Christmas celebrating Christ's gracious birth. May your blessings be evident and your joy be contagious!
xoxo,
Rachel
Rachel







Merry Christmas to you, too! Hope you enjoy the time with your family this week! :)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteYour dog bones look so cute. It makes me want to get a dog just so I can make those. :)
I heart the dog biscuits. I am going to try out your recipe. I love it as a gift idea. How cute!
ReplyDeleteBonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie! I read the older post. What I wonder is...what possessed Bonnie to think that bringing the bones up to the BEDROOM was such a clever idea? Really.
ReplyDelete