I may not be an expert on the intricacies of cocoa, but I have tried quite a few varieties the last few months. Here are my top faves from this season's tastings!
Amazing! I won a tin of this last year and fell in love. Chocolate shavings mixed with warm milk and a marshmallow. Decadent but not over the top. Made from single-origin Colombian chocolate, this New York shop knows their cocoa! Pretty pricey, but can't be beat if you want an indulgence or are fortunate enough to win a tin.
Hot Cocoa Mix from The Spice House - ChicagoMy other favorite is the hot cocoa mix from Spice House. A blend of two cocoas, vanilla and sugar. All that is needed is warm milk. This mix is super blendable with a smooth chocolate flavor. A couple melted marshmallows on top make for one happy Moose! A little jar goes by fast in our house, but it's an affordable choice to try out. I personally would go for the big back next time. Totally worth it!
Coming in at #3 is Ghiradelli's Double Hot Chocolate. Very chocolatey, a little goes a long way, but still smooth. I found a tin for $5 at Walmart. I looked at two other stores before that, and they were sold out. Must be popular this time of year. Go figure! Very yummy and usually easy to find.
Coming in at #3 is Ghiradelli's Double Hot Chocolate. Very chocolatey, a little goes a long way, but still smooth. I found a tin for $5 at Walmart. I looked at two other stores before that, and they were sold out. Must be popular this time of year. Go figure! Very yummy and usually easy to find.
Swiss Miss Hot ChocolateThese are a few more that I've tried. All of them are drinkable but not something I'd write home about. The flavor of Rapunzel cocoa, with some added sugar, is delicious but it's hard for me to get it all mixed together. I've also tried Kroger's store brand hot cocoa. It was...okay. The price was right, but I would not purchase it again due to lack of flavor and richness.
As you can see, I may have gone overboard in my cocoa love. I usually let myself enjoy one mug a day. What can I say? It is pure bliss! And the calcium and protein in the milk is good for the baby. Right? :)
As you can see, I may have gone overboard in my cocoa love. I usually let myself enjoy one mug a day. What can I say? It is pure bliss! And the calcium and protein in the milk is good for the baby. Right? :)
Do you enjoy hot chocolate? Any suggestions on good varieties to try? I'm always up for a cocoa taste test!
Happy wintery day to you all!
xoxo,
R



Yes!!!! Me and hot chocolate were great friends during pregnancy! My favourite is Cadbury's drinking chocolate. It's what we always had as kids.
ReplyDeleteAfter youve had the baby (unless you're allowing yourself the odd tipple!), have hot chocolate, a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, marshmallow, and baileys. Oh my!!!!
Oh Alice, that sounds divine! I am definitely going to have to add that to my "special treat" list once baby has arrived. Yummmm! :) I wonder if we have Cadbury's drinking chocolate here in the States? I'm going to have to keep my eye out! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a healthy pregnancy craving! Cocoa powder has tons of antioxidants! Your little one is going to grow up to be a chocolate fiend, and you can tell him it all started here :)
ReplyDeletemy favorite right now is homemade hot chocolate mix made with milk (and sometimes a little peppermint schnapps). I don't have the perfect recipe for coco mix just yet, I'm still exploring, my MIL has a good one that I hope to get at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteHomemade hot chocolate? Ohh, now that sounds intriguing! Good luck getting the recipe, I bet it's delish! And the Peppermint schnapps sounds great. I may have to add a touch of peppermint oil to indulge myself during the preggo days. :) Great suggestion Emmy Lou!
ReplyDeleteYummy! I've been on a hot chocolate kick recently too. Ryan's mom makes the most fabulous homemade hot chocolate. I will need to get the receipe from her!
ReplyDeleteYum!! I love hot chocolate in the winter months for obvious reasons. ;-) I usually make ours homemade. But, I also love the Cracker Barrel Hot Chocolate. Godiva is probably one of the best mixes that I have ever had as well. Yum!
ReplyDeleteYou are a hot chocolate mastermind : )
ReplyDeletemmmm . . . hot chocolate. Best in Germany where they serve it up in big mugs with lashings of whipped cream on top. Nothing better on earth! We have a tasso machine that makes beautiful hot chocolate. Yumm Yumm!!
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, I've been guzzling hot chocolate like nobody's business too :) My mother-in-law got me into Land O Lakes Cocoa Classics; I'm pretty sure they sell it at most grocery stores and Walmart. So yummy, and such fun flavors!
ReplyDelete(How are you feeling? We're on the pregnancy homestretch! :)
I love a good cup of hot chocolate. The BEST (I think) is by Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. They are based here in California but also available online. Order the non-fat sugar free ... trust me you will be in heaven. Warm your milk first, then add the chocolate and whisk. It is delightful; you'll be hooked.
ReplyDeletethis is the BEST hot chocolate recipe, i have made it almost every night for the past two weeks!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.madebylex.com/2010/12/lexs-italian-hot-chocolate.html
p.s. recipe calls for red pepper, i left that out, and it is so so good. also? make sure to use real whipped cream!
Mmmmm...I have a tin of MarieBelle in the cabinet. I need to bust that out!!
ReplyDelete