One of my most favorite quotes from the awesome Sara Groves. I have likely shared this with many of you. It's been years since I came across these words, yet they still inspire me with each read.
These days I am trying to appreciate the things I have instead of pining away for more. Sometimes this is much easier said than done. Let's face it, I am a typical woman who enjoys shopping. Finding deals, drooling at Anthro, drooling at Target, let's be honest sometimes even drooling over nail polish at CVS. It's just fun.
However, it is becoming increasingly more entertaining to sit back and enjoy the life I have. The life that does not require anything new or fancy or costly. I am not one to buy expensive things, but even small things add up. Lately I have felt a tugging to find beauty in the home we have created and get it ready for new adventures on the way. Is it nesting? Is it reality of what is better for our family right now? Is it trying to appreciate the many blessings smack dab in my face? Call it what you will, but I am trying this new attitude on for size.
I am definitely a work in progress, but I am hoping my focus can change permanently towards the beauty of life and family and amazing blessings that I have. I want to desire Christ above all else. I want to learn the fine art of being satisfied.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. -Philippians 4:12
To celebrate a happy pappy Friday and the goal towards gratefulness here are a few of my favorite things...that did not cost me a penny (or if they did cost a penny it's been so long ago that it is now considered a "durable good"...the only knowledge I remember from high school economics.)
Furry puppy paws - need I say more?

Fantastic picture I came across from my treasured family photo collection.
Circa 1985-ish - Sister (The Liz), me and my two cousins, Micheal and Marshall
Love the orneriness of this photo more than I can express!

And thrown in for good measure my tummy that is now expanding into regions formerly undiscovered. Feet, why are you soooooo far away? Oh well, it is all very worth it. Love you baby Bakerella!
Three cheers for new attitudes and Fridays! It's going to be a fabulous weekend, my friends!
Enjoy life!
xoxo, Rachel
Three cheers for new attitudes and Fridays! It's going to be a fabulous weekend, my friends!
Enjoy life!
xoxo, Rachel


this post hits home. because i desire the same things. and it's hard, because, yeah, i like to shop too. :) but i want to so badly be satisfied with the now. i am going to look around my house and come up with a happy list.
ReplyDeletep.s. you are adorable!
Such wisdom! Yes, this is such a good thing. And a grateful heart is a thing of joyful beauty.
ReplyDeleteIt is impossible to be thankful [to God] and complain at the same time.
ReplyDelete..just a little thought I have been pondering!
Love that picture of you, your sister and cousins! Sooooo cute! Yes you are!
ReplyDeleteThank you Rachel for stopping over at my daughter's blog and leaving her your sweet comment. It means the world to me and I know it is an encouragement to her.
You are a sweetie. Thank you for being Y♥U!!
♥Lee Ann