Archive

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Falltastic Dutch Apple Pie!

pie1-pola

This past week Mr. Schalk and I were kindly invited to dinner at our Pastor's home. Our Pastor and his wife have two lovely teenage children. It was such a pleasure (and small glimpse of what is to come) to enjoy a meal with this great family. I don't remember being that well spoken as a teen. I do remember a lot of awkwardness and cardigans...but that is another post. Dinner was a ton of fun. We laughed, shared stories and enjoyed a great evening of fellowship.

I offered to bring the dessert, which I am sure surprises you all. Ha! It was a work night, but I still wanted to make something tasty. I was going to go with brownies but at the last minute went for apple pie. I am so glad I did! A perfect fall treat and super easy to make. I had most of the ingredients including a ready made crust...although, homemade crust would have been divine! Using items on hand this pie come in under $2.00. Wow!

This dutch apple pie tastes falltastic! Thanks mama for yet another delicious recipe! I am thinking she should put out a cookbook..what do you think?

pie2-pola

Dutch Apple Pie

Ingredients:

Apple Filling

  • 6 cups cored, peeled, thinly sliced apples (Gala or Rome work well)
  • 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • pastry for single crust pie

Crumble Topping

  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ cup butter

Directions:

  1. To prepare crumb topping, in a medium bowl stir together ½ cup flour, ½ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Cut in ¼ cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Add sliced apples and toss until coated evenly.
  3. Line a 9” pie plate with pastry, trim and crimp edge of pastry. Gently fill with apple mixture.
  4. Sprinkle crumb topping over pie. Cover edge of pie with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Then bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack.
Happy Fall friends!

xoxo, R

6 comments:

  1. That is my ultimate favorite apple pie recipe...to have the crumble topping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carol, you would love this one. Yummy crumble topping and super easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! And reminds me of the apple pie my great aunt makes. Its got the same crumble crust. Ridiculously good! My grandfather just gave me a bushel of apples, so this recipe is getting bumped up to the top of the list for sure. Thanks Rachel!

    Its amazing how inexpensive it is to make stuff from scratch. All it takes is some time and effort, which people appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely autumnal Rachel!! Looks fabulous. You're just such a cute gal! Love you to bits! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SO good! And perfect for fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...looks delicious...drooling.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!