I enjoy being informed. It puts me at ease to have some bit of knowledge in my back pocket. Although, my pockets are getting tighter and the knowledge department feels like mush some days, but we won't go there.
For me, even if this little bambino is the exact opposite of everything I read at least I will have some ground to start from. That, constant prayer and a supportive Mr. Schalk are my comforts since I have no experience in the mommy-hood department yet.
No, Bonnie, you don't exactly count (although, what dog owner doesn't feel that the clean up of...you know...vomit and being responsible for a living thing doesn't make you feel like a parent at times.) Good practice, but only a slight foreshadowing of the things to come.
Here are some books that I am enjoying these days. Most of them I just read bits and pieces here and there. The list is long and makes it seem as if I do nothing but read. But with the new NCIS episodes and the crisp fall weather, reading is not always on the top of my list.
My reading style is down-to-earth, straight forward books. I often gravitate toward fact based or faith based books that are easy to read a little at a time. I do not enjoy over dramatizations, the "what if" scare tactics or information overload types. I like to read a little at a time and think about it afterward.
Maybe you mamas out there have some other recommendations to share? I'd love to hear those! And for the mamas-to-be perhaps one or two of these will strike a chord with you! Most of these were gifts, library borrows or purchased used which has saved a ton of moolah!
The Pregnancy Journal by A. Christine Harris - Lotte and Eric gave this to Mr. Schalk and I when we told them we were having a baby. So sweet! We love this book. It tells you what is happening every day to the baby and to your body. It is so much fun and a neat way to connect with your hubby and your growing baby.
Baby Bargains by Denise & Alan Fields - This combined with Consumer Reports and friend/family recommendations have been extremely helpful. Thanks mama for this early on baby gift! Easy to follow and full of bargain saving tips because boy-oh-boy (or girl) do baby items add up!
Do Your Kids a Favor...Love Your Spouse by Kendra Smiley - Love Kendra! She is funny, down-to-earth and full of godly wisdom. I asked for this book many years ago from my mother-in-law. It's been on my bookshelf just waiting to be read. It's a pretty short book, but a great one for the couple that wants to put Christ first and learn how to love their spouse (and people, in general) despite our differences.
Baby Facts by Andrew Adesman - Andrew and his wife are pediatricians and parents. Written in 2009 this book dispels common myths that you hear about newborns and preschool age children from how often to bathe a newborn to how to treat ear infections. Another straight forward read that really put my mind at ease about truths and myths of babies.
The New Hide and Seek: Building Confidence in Your Child by James Dobson - Mr. Schalk and I are both reading this book. We originally borrowed it from the library but have enjoyed it's sound and faith based advice so much that we bought a used copy on Amazon.
Baby's First Year by Jeanne Murphy - This book is broken up into "bubbles" of handy tips and everyday advice. Another library borrow that turned into a used book purchase. It has helped me understand baby care better, and is a book I may grab at 2am for a bit of helpful advice.
Changing Your World One Diaper At A Time by Maria Taviano - This book received great reviews on Amazon and so far (chapter 2-ish) I have not been disappointed. Funny, honest and one of those authors who you instantly connect with.
So Long Insecurity - by Beth Moore - Everyone wants a confident mama (and friend, woman, colleague, etc.) I began reading this before the bambino came around and decided it would be beneficial to continue reading it amidst the pile of baby books. It's amazing and helpful! Beth, your rock!So there is my lengthy list of current reads. I've never had this many books started at one time, but they flow into each other well. In fact, we have other books that we have enjoyed but if you've read this far you deserve a gold medal!
Happy reading and thanks SO much for visiting!!
xoxo, Rachel

Mama Moose! I love the new name!
ReplyDeleteHope you're doing great :)
Thank you so much Christina! "Mama Moose" is doing great..and will be doing even better once I try your Banana Pudding for two. :) Yum!
ReplyDeleteWhoa Mama Moose...That's a lot of reading you've got going on! Would you strongly recommend 1 or 2 out of your list?
ReplyDeleteI was given the usual "What to expect when your expecting". I've also been reading a memoir of a midwife "Labor of Love"...it's by the midwife that was in the documentary "The Business of Being Born"...I would only recommend this one if you're into midwives. And depending on how natural you want to go with your delivery, I would recommend "The Birth Partner" to Brandon. I read it when I attended the birth of a friend, so I could be more supportive, and I plan to have Marcus read it too.
Turns out I'm a total hipster when it comes to birth :-)
those all look like good books. it's true that the BEST thing you can do for your child is to love your spouse.
ReplyDeleteYou're the cutest mama moose I've ever seen! Looks like a great reading list! I agree with the above commentator. The best thing is to love your spouse. All children want is parents who love them and each other! xxoo
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the lovely comments everyone!
ReplyDeleteJulie, hippie mamas are fantastic! Each mama is different yet wonderful, in my opinion. As far as this list, my favorite books are probably Love Your Spouse and Babyfacts. I also love the Pregnancy Journal. I think you would like it, too a it explains the baby wonderfully and supports organic eating and healthy living.
Not to add on, but do you know Operating Instructions, by Anne LaMotte? An oldie but goodie, possibly the best.
ReplyDeleteHi! Just wanted to say cute blog! Beth Moore is such fun, too. I went to the So Long Insecurity simulcast in April. It was awesome.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to visiting again!
Hi moose!
ReplyDeleteYou are so cute and so is your blog!- I have one to add to that list "The girlfriends guide to pregnancy" it is full of stuff that only your closest girlfriends would tell you ;)
However, the pregancy Journal was my favorite through both of my pregnancies!