Archive

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Indiana Chicky & Noodles

Let me be honest, pregnant or not, I love carbs, starches, and white food. It's true. Mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, and especially noodles. Indiana noodles.

IMG_9888

Have you ever had these? They have been a staple in my life for as long as I can remember. These days that would be a memory span of 5 seconds...but you get my drift. My Grandma Rhine made them without chicken. Just the noodles and a bunch of love. They were fantastic, and I loved them as a kid. At our family reunions there were usually a few varieties of noodles to sample. Thin noodles, wide ones, chicken noodles, beef and noodles. A lot of people would even put their noodles right on top of their mashed potatoes and/or turkey. Maybe that's an Indiana thing? I prefer my food not to touch. I'm goofy like that.

My mama makes crock pot chicken and noodles. They are amazing! She cooks up a whole chicken with veggies and adds the yummy pieces to her noodles. They are the best ever! The chicken makes it a legitimate meal which means I get to eat more. Such a lovely and tasty country dish. Warm and cozy and even a good breakfast (I'm not kidding...it made a great breakfast this morning).

IMG_9881

When I told my mom I was craving them she quickly (and I mean quickly!) made up a batch just for Mr. Schalk and I. Wasn't that nice of her? Mr. S and I dove into those like gold. They were delicious!

Thanks Mama! No one makes chicken and noodles the fantastic way you do. Your daughter, son-in-law and grandbaby are very happy campers! Love youuuuuuuu!

IMG_9890
An extra treat to make the day even more special...oh the little pleasures in life!

What kind of food makes you think of our childhood? A fond memory? A happy taste?

xoxo, Rachel

P.S. Have a fantastic Labor Day weekend everyone! Have fun making memories. xoxo

10 comments:

  1. oh my goodness - i couldn't agree with you more! my mom actually mails me bags of noodles when i get low (there just aren't wonderful homemade -thank you amish!- noodles around here). love love love them.

    and i'm a put them on my mashed potatoes girl - my friends can't believe that i would eat that many starches all together...but it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds and looks SO GOOD!!! That is so adorable of your mum to make this for you : )

    I think apple pie reminds me of my childhood. My nan always makes it when we go around for dinner...so good!!!

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually comment on flickr, but I saw the noodle pictures and needed more info, so I clicked over. Is noodles on mashed potatoes an Indiana thing? Because I did grow up in Indiana and I do like noodles on mashed potatoes. It never occurred to me that that would be weird.

    And homemade noodles .... no one makes them like my great-aunt did. Sadly, she died a few years ago and I've not had a noodle dish yet that compares to hers. People follow her recipe, but somethings just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a rainy, dreary day here in Toronto and now all I can think of is going home for some good ole' comfort food. I'm heading up to the country to visit the parents, so maybe I can convince my mom to make her amazing mac and cheese. If its carbs that you're craving, this is the ticket!(http://smallhomebigstart.blogspot.com/2010/04/moms-infamous-macaroni-and-cheese.html)

    If I could find a way to package it up and ship it down to you, I would, but I don't think they'd take to kindly to it at customs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not pregnant but I could proabably pass for 6 months. And it may OR may not be because of my addiction to carbs..

    Growing up my favorite was Chocolate Gravy and Bisquits....my Grandma made it, and my mom now makes it for my children.

    Ok.....maybe the 6 month (non existant) pregnancy has something to do with that...

    Thanks so much Grandma.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Rachel, I'm behind in reading your posts. You are going to be a momma!! CONGRATULATIONS to you and your hubby! You will be such a wonderful momma.

    Oh I agree that Indiana noodles are the greatest yummy thing. I can remember my grandma getting up at 5:30 am on Sunday mornings to make homemade noodles before we went to church, so we could all sit down for a big family homemade chicken and noodle or beef and noodle dinner together. And yes, we put them on top of our mashed potatoes too. My favorite though will always be my grandmother's chicken and homemade dumplings! To die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm.....I agree. I'm a big comfort food fan, and my mom tells me she thinks white food is comfort food.
    Have a great weekend! Sounds like morning sickness is not a problem....Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That looks really good. And I am with you on the carbs. White flour...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful news..not the noodles:-)..your sweet baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, Congrats on the baby! I need to check in over here more often.
    Second -Oh how I miss Indiana noodles! I remember all the ladies getting together and filling the entire church gym, having a noodle making day. I need to get a recipe somewhere -maybe Diana will send me hers- so I can make some. I am sure it won't be the same, but at least I will be able to explain the idea to my hubby, who is a GA boy and just doesn't understand.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!