It's been a while since I've posted a recipe on ACFM. As fall is slowly approaching I am getting my taste buds excited for all the lovely soups the season brings. It is still a bit early, but as I perused the kitchen and pantry the abundance of veggies were loud and clear.
Veggie soup is one of my all time favorites, and what a great way to get your vitamins. In my preggo ways, I cannot get enough protein so I decided to add some beef and chick peas, as well. The beef and beef broth added a nice density that is not always present in traditional veg only soups (read: it sticks to the ribs so you're not hungry 20 minutes later).
Since, I could not find a recipe that I was drawn to I made up my own. All the recipes I read had the soup simmering for 1-4 hours. Mine took about 40 minutes...not sure if that is good or bad but considering I can't stop stealing bites I would say it's mighty fine!
Top 5 reasons why I love soups:
1. A great way to incorporate tons of flavors/veggies/goodness into one bowl.
2. Easy clean up with few dishes and little mess.
3. A great item to freeze for those days you want a quick lunch or a homemade dinner without the fuss.
4. The soup combinations are endless.
5. Soup makes me happy!
Happy Veggie & Beef Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb. beef - chuck roast or pre cut beef stew, cut into cubes if necessary
8 cups (~ 2 boxes) beef or vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 carrots, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 (15 oz.) can chick peas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
2 small (or 1 large) potatoes, diced
1 small can or ~ 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Add ~2 tablespoons olive oil to large stock pot and turn on medium high heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened a bit.
2. Add beef and brown all sides. Drain excess fat from pot.
3. Add beef/vegetable broth and 2 cups water. Add bay leaves, parsley and all vegetables and stir.
4. Simmer, covered for 40 minutes to 1 hour until vegetables are to your desired texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Salt depends largely on the stock you've used as the sodium content varies greatly between brands.)
5. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions:
Serve with warm crusty bread and a salad. Or, eat a large bowl and enjoy a piece of chocolate cake for dessert. :)
For fully developed flavors let them mingle overnight and enjoy the next day. Can also be frozen for later meals.
Easy peasy happy veggie soup. Enjoy my friends!
xoxo, Rachel



No comments:
Post a Comment