Archive

Friday, August 6, 2010

A different kind of clothing

080610_Chair12
Please ignore the white pup who snuck in the pic. :)

Like any girlie girl (or am I womanly woman now?....I'm stickin' to girly) I enjoy perusing fashions. I get a kick out of putting outfits together and seeing how my styles can be combined in new ways. It is fun to go to clothing websites and "add to cart" only to close the window a few minutes later. Of course, I love shopping in real stores, as well. That is just a bit more hard to put the items in my "cart" away after a few minutes. Sigh...

As much as I enjoy clothes and shopping, a thought has been popping up in my head the past couple weeks about a different kind of clothing. The clothing of my attitude.

I was really struggling with pride over a certain matter in my life. As I was praying through it one morning, asking God to help me get over myself, I realized that pride is really ugly. And it does not flatter me. Just like a boxy dress or pants that are too long, pride looks awkward when worn. And it really struck me. I like to feel pretty! We all do, right? God cares not one ounce whether are clothes are fashionable or new, but he cares deeply about what we wear in our attitudes. Pride was looking ugly on me. I don't want to walk around with pride or frustration or any other sinful quality hanging from me like a ball and chain. And I certainly don't want others to see that quality as soon as I begin speaking. Yikes!

Mr. Schalk and I were out to dinner this week and I overheard someone who was wearing quite a bit of resentment. I am not sure if the person even realized that many of their words were tainted with the stench of such a tough stain. Resentment is good at creeping up on a person, if you ask me. That is one I have to nip in the bud a.s.a.p. The person's company certainly acted like they had heard the resentment story one too many times. And it saddened me. Such a beautiful child of God was not shining because resentment had taken its hold. And, friend, let me tell you, it did not look pretty.

So, next time I feel pride, resentment, or judgment creep into my life (which happens way more than I would care to admit) I am going to think of it as clothing. I don't want to be ugly. I want to be beautiful. And true beauty does not require money. It requires a quiet and patient heart, one that is willing to answer Jesus' call of love and kindness. And the best part? He is cheering us on each step of the way!

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
- Colossians 3:12-13 (NIV)




xoxo, Rachel

10 comments:

  1. I find myself sighing as i finish reading this post. so much truth in it! Resentment and bitterness make us ugly doesn't it. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i won't be forgetting this anytime soon. thanks so much for sharing what is on your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Rachel, Pride, Bitterness, Resentment and other things like Jealousy are horrible things to cloak oneself in! I think I'd rather wear charity and humility! Great post! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right on. And although I don't really know you well, I will tell you that what I have seen/read on your blog is lovely. Your heart for the Lord is beautiful.
    Thank you for the wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post and wonderful reminder to clothe myself with qualities honoring to the LORD! This is all so true and somehow so easy to forget...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!! I miss your positive presence at work...it hasn't been the same since you've been gone! :( Hope things are going amazing for you, though...you definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written, Rachel! This is very encouraging and you look so stylish and pretty while doing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, this is a very thought provoking post - and SO true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, filled with truths that I needed to hear! It is so easy to allow resentment and bitterness to creep into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen sister. Loved this post. I can use that illustration of those ugly things as clothes. It makes sense to me. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!