Archive

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Free food...sorta

Looking for a fun *free* date night with your hubsters? Have you tried the local library? Although probably not the most romantic getaway, the library is full of fun! We happen to have a fantastic library in my town, if I do say so myself. It has a great selection of books and music. I get quite excited when it's library night. Yay books! Yay free dates!

While Mr. Schalk peruses the Shaker furniture and other man books (insert words like government, construction, intellectual thought) I am distracted by other genres. Yes, those are woman books too...just not this woman. I'm all for intelligent conversation, but when I'm at the library my mind wanders towards this...
IMG_9170_ja

Looks interesting, right? Or is it just weird? Hmmm, we shall see!


IMG_9175_PA
Then, there's Pam. No, not that Pam Anderson. The uber cool cookbook author Pam Anderson who visited Ree at her ranch a while back. Her subtitle is "Getting it right every time - making our favorite dishes the absolute best they can be." Amen sister! (As I scarf a bagel and glass of milk...I like to daydream about real cooking while my toaster does the work for me.)

PerfectRecipeCollage
Rediscovering fried chicken? Wow, I didn't know I had lost it, but I'm so willing to "find" it again.
**This report just in from my hips...fried chicken has not been out of my vocabulary/eating habits as of late.** What?? Shh, be quiet hips, no more out of you!


IMG_9163
Finally, my mind caught a glimpse of this and I fainted. Crabtree & Evelyn cookbook circa 1989. It's subtitle..."A Book of Light Meals and Small Feasts." So sweet, so backyard tea party, so me!

C&E_Collage
Mulled cider applesauce is just one of the many recipes that popped out at me. They are all simple yet sweet. And the book is so pretty! An eclectic mix of photography and graphics. Just the way I like my cookbooks!

IMG_9166
I adore cookbooks. They are one of my favorite gifts to receive. Personal, artistic and full of possibilities. Most of all they bring people together. Families, friends, new neighbors and bloggy buddies! God bless meals and the people that create them!

I'm off to drool over my new free treasures. At least for the next 3 weeks until they are due back at the library.

xoxo, Rachel

5 comments:

  1. Love the cookbooks! I have that one, plus several others by Pamela Anderson. They're really good books. I haven't seen that Jane Austin one. Is it any good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh rachel...i just read your fried chicken paragraph to one of my co-workers, got us laughing this morning!

    i have to admit it, i think cookbooks are my favorite reading material!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made old library books look like the next hottest thing!

    Don't forget to take them back or else you'll end up like me with BANISHED next to your name at the library... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel - You're so right about the Fried Chicken thing..it made me laugh!!!

    I wish my local library did something similar.

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea! The FREE Barnes and Noble:-)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!