Archive

Friday, June 4, 2010

Maker's Mark Take 2: Lucy Style


Did anyone visit Maker's Mark in 2006 or before? If you had you would remember that this building was not only the main gathering place, but also where the quaint gift shop was. A small hot wax area to dip your own bottle and hand write your name on. Little knick knacks, some dipped in red wax and others just fit for a bourbon distillery.

Between '06 and '08 Maker's Mark either had a sweet old (rich) auntie pass away, or people got really thirsty. The gift shop up and moved to behind the aging section into a much larger building. It tripled in size and glamour. Now they print your name on a label to attach to the bottle you dip. Oh la la! It is nice and showy and bodes well for their business during this economic blah time, but I will always have a soft spot for the small shop in the main building.

However...

...check out what they have done to the main building since '08...

Lucy, I'm hooooome!!

You can bet that my I Love Lucy lovin' heart pitter pattered when I stepped into this 50's wonderland kitchen. Mr. Schalk paused and moved on to the more manly office around the corner with cool talking photos and a sweet antique desk. But not me. I literally stopped and had to close my mouth...because it's rude to gawk...I hear.

Gorgeous retro kitchen all for my wonderment and picture taking. Although, the photo does not do it justice. It was gorgeous, bright and super fun. I love this kitchen! Mr. Schalk did not go for the idea of transforming ours this way. Maybe he'll be swayed when he sees the little wax army men on the shelf.


Maybe not. Oh well, it was still a fun surprise and not in the least bit expected. Maker's Mark always has something new going on, which I suppose is why we keep visiting. That, and to pretend we live in that big green southern house.

That's what daydreams and Kentucky vacations are made of. Have a great weekend friends!

xoxo, Rachel

P.S. Mama, I can't wait for you to see that mixer. It's just like grandmothers! Bet it brings back a lot of memories for you. So cool! Love you! :)

5 comments:

  1. Well Rachel I would have loved to be with you two that weekend and I love the kitchen too! We'll both have to work on Brandon. Your blogs make my heart sing.

    Love you
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog and it is too cute! Maker's Mark looks like such a fun place to visit. That kitchen is so retro chic I feel like Desi should be walking in at any moment! xoxo Katie @ Simply Stated

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, LOVE the retro kitchen Rachel!!! You are a girl after my own heart! What I wouldn't give to have a kitchen like that! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This looks so much like my mother's kitchen when I was a very young girl. We had linoleum just like that and the mixer and also our kitchen table was red on top with silver around it and red and silver chairs. This shows I'm a quite a bit older than you Rachel! Your picture brings back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I forgot to say, that Betty Crocker Red and White Cookbook I remember well also.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!