The next stop on our Kentucky adventure of fun was to the Maker's Mark distillery. I will be sharing more photos of our tour around the grounds in the coming days. However, I added some actions and such to these photos and think they turned out sweet and southern. At least, in my little world that's what I'm calling it. I hope you like them, too!
We have been visiting Maker's Mark every other Memorial Day since we were married. It wasn't planned, but we like to go to Kentucky over this holiday weekend and realized on this trip we've been to Maker's Mark in '06, '08 and this year. My word of the year is "consistent" so I suppose it's fitting.
Once you get past the curvy roads that is the Kentucky countryside you end up in a little oasis known as the Bourbon Trail. There are all kinds of distilleries to visit - Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, Four Roses, on and on. MM was our first love and obviously one we still enjoy. I can vouch for Woodford Reserve as well. Mmmm, bourbon chocolate truffles...yes please!
The tour is interesting and the guides really know their stuff. I believe, it is still free unless you want to pay a few bucks for a tasting at the end. Mr. Schalk digs the history of the tour, and I like to tell stories about the guides in my head.
It has been built up and changed a bit over the years, but one thing that remains is the plantation house. Gorgeous, green and sitting stoutly on top of a hill. It's the perfect spot for a rest!
You don't have to be a bourbon drinker to enjoy the beautifully kept grounds or the history Maker's Mark. However, it does make you want to be a southern belle bourbon drinker. Or in my case, a midwestern bourbon sipper. Keepin' it real friends!
We had a blast at our favorite little Kentucky distillery. The tour is great and you can even dip your own bottle in the signature red wax if you fancy. Very relaxed, very pretty and very Schalktastic!
Thanks for touring with me!xoxo, Rachel
P.S. Just wait until I show you what they have done to the building that used to be the gift shop. You are going to love it! Stay tuned!
that house/building is so so gorgeous!! goodness!
ReplyDeleteIt looks so lovely!! A very relaxing place to be : )
ReplyDeleteI would love it if you would check out my blog :D
Gemma X
http://musings-of-a-gem.blogspot.com/
LOVE all your pictures! :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos and I love the treatment you did on them. Looks like you had a fantastic tour (and how awesome is that house!)
ReplyDeletehow fun! i love that barrel picture.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos Rachel! I am loving this tour with you and can't wait to see where you take us next! I especially adore the pic of you with Mr Schalk! What a cute pair you are! xxoo
ReplyDeleteThis looks like fun. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures of your tour! I'm from the northern part of KY originally but live in Mobile, AL now. All of my family still lives there and some are close to the distillers. I've never been on the tour before but know my husband would absolutely love this! I will have to put this on our to do list next time we go to KY to visit family!
ReplyDelete