Archive

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Garden Dinner & LeeAnn's Giveaway

Garden salad dinner with juicy burgers on the grill a la Mr. Schalk.

What a treat to come back from our travels to see our garden growing some fine veggies. To our delight, our first crop of lettuce and spinach were ready to eat. Our first garden salad of the summer tasted so fresh and yummy! They came from little plants and had a head start. The second planting of greens are from seeds and take a wee bit longer. Although, I am happy to report they have sprouted their green little heads out of the ground.


For dessert we had strawberries with a mint simple syrup. I made this a few months ago with mint bought at the grocery. This time I was able to use mint fresh from our garden. There is something wonderful about growing your own edibles. Mr. Schalk and I are having a ball learning and eating and gardening.

Mint Simple Syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed fresh mint
1 cup water

Combine all three ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature and strain out mint leaves. Pour over fresh cut strawberries and enjoy!

P.S. My friend LeeAnn over at Encouragement is Contagious is having a wonderful giveaway. She is setting up her first Etsy shop (go LeeAnn!) and giving away a gorgeous set of water colored note cards to kick off the fun.

She is not only a great artist, but a genuinely kind and joyful woman. I'm sure you have checked out her site, but if not head on over. You'll be so happy you did!


Happy Sunday from me to you!
xoxo, Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Rachel for mentioning my blog and giveaway on your post. You are a sweetie!

    You go girl! You already have lettuce and spinach ready to eat from your garden! Yum! There is nothing tastier that something we can grow fresh and eat. My country roots will never leave me. Oh and I love the mint idea with the strawberries in syrup. Never thought of that.

    Smiles and hugs,
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds so yummy! I'm growing a lot this year but haven't planted any lettuces or spinach etc...I think I will next year though : )

    I will take a look at LeeAnns blog!

    Gemma @ Musings of a Gem

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food from the garden just can't be beat Rachel! Your strawberries in syrup sound fabulous! Loving the sound of the giveaway too. Off to check her out! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!