Archive

Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Day

A couple weekends ago Mr. Schalk and I were taking a morning walk down a very familiar path at my parent’s house. I may have mentioned they live in a wonderland of trees, flowers and nature. It’s whimsical and fresh and imprints feelings on your heart like no other place ever has. There is something alive in the woods and trails I grew up with. There God is present and active in ways that can only be experienced. I hope you have a place like that, as well. Even if it is just in one’s mind, it is nice to have a place to go to unwind and find the truth that is always whispering to us.

Jesus said,

"Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

-Matthew 11:29-30 (NLT)

So sweet, so true. Jesus gave us these words to hold onto. To believe. To rest in the knowledge that Christ is in control. Nature reminds me of this peace. Along our morning walk, Mr. Schalk and I were snapping pictures and chit chatting away. It had just rained so everything had a dewy fresh smell. Bonnie was in heaven running free and burying her face in the plants and dirt.


Once in a while moments just happen. They happen the most when we are relaxed and not planning too far in advance, don’t you think? We were just walking and enjoying nature and each other. Mr. Schalk put his arm around me and simply said, “Happy Rachel.” And it struck me. To hear someone else recognize happiness in me. Contentment and joy. Things are not perfect, but they are oh-so-good. My back is on the mend, and to be honest I thought I had been complaining far more than I like to hear myself complain these days. Yet, in the moment it was bliss. Mr. Schalk recognized that there was nowhere in the world I would rather be. Two little words made me reevaluate the day and see the ripple effect of choosing joy. In not worrying about the way things “should be” or the way I want them to be, but just enjoying the moment for the moment. I needed that lesson and was grateful God let my brain stop over thinking long enough to be me. To be the happy grateful me He intends. To enjoy a nice walk with my favorite person (and favorite pup).

This must be a lesson I need to learn as I keep coming back to this theme of choosing joy and letting go of fear/worry. God often works on me like that. Repeating the same lesson over and over until it is written on my heart. It may be on walks or in songs or sermons or conversations. Themes repeated, lessons learned and growth (hopefully) attained. God is so patient. It amazes me that as Great as He is, he meets us exactly where we are and loves us enough to teach us. To help us grow and be the amazing children He knows we can be. Such sweetness lies in God’s truth and the beauty of his creations. It was a happy day indeed!


(All photos from our walk at the Rhine Homestead)


xoxo, Rachel

5 comments:

  1. I came to your blog through your comment on Beki's blog and I am so happy to have found you. Your post today has been such a good reminder to me. My family is facing much uncertainty in the month ahead and worry tries to rear its ugly head in some form every day. I was encouraged by your post today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man is that he might have joy and have it abundantly. We are here to experience joy. I find it more often than not, in the small and simple things that make up my every day life. to be content no matter one's circumstances is a gift and a blessing from God. Great post Raquel, as always! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog today and I have to say, I'm smitten :) I totally understand that feeling you described in your post...for a few years when I was very little (5 or 6) we lived in/near the Redwoods. There's still something about big trees that gets to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post. So much. Thanks for sharing. Happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that scripture. Such a comfort. :) Beautiful pictures! Hope you are having a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!