Okay, okay, mayyyybe Mr. Ed supplied us with some lovely plants to get us started. Thanks Dad! This is our first go at a garden, and sure to be a learning experience. Let's hope we have more success with veggies than cupcake bites. Oh my! With these starter plants we are sure to have some yummy salads ahead of us this season.
Mr. Schalk planting seeds. "Wow, these lettuce seeds are sure are small," says the Mister. Grow big and strong little seeds!
Mmmm, beets! The Liz has the best recipe for pickled beets. Seriously delish with a touch of cinnamon! If we just have a couple they are getting made up into a salad with greens, goat cheese and pine nuts. Oh yum!
The one thing I have grown before, last year being the first go around, were herbs. They were pretty easy and forgiving as long as I didn't over or under water. We've got some more to get planted, but one of my faves is already in the ground. Mint!Mint - so lovely, so fresh! And, oh the possibilities! Mint simple syrup over strawberries, choco chip mint ice cream, and of course mm mm mmojitos!
xoxo, Rachel

I want to start a garden for us sometime soon. Your pictures are inspirational! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Heather! I started with a few herbs in pots last year, which was also a lot of fun. Good luck!
ReplyDelete-Rachel
Ohh, love the pic of your baby greens!! Isn't gardening fun! I Love to look out our back window and see all the little green terrariums lined up in our garden, protecting our cabbages. (I made them from empty water bottles) I am looking so forward to enjoying the fruits of our labours later on in the year. We have beetroot, carrots, peas, beans, parsnips, cabbage, courgettes, butternut squash and a host of other goodies to look forward to! xxoo
ReplyDeleteYou just reminded me I need to get started soon on my little garden. I tried one last year and think I learned a few things in the process.
ReplyDeletemoijitos are my favorite drink ever!! i used to grow mint for that exact purpose :-)
ReplyDelete