This time I used too much frosting, cake balls were too big and the melted chocolate was not working for me. It was so awful, I just had to laugh. They looked bad...very bad. But they tasted GOOD! Oh-so-good! Even Mr. Schalk said so. Although we agreed the ratio of frosting to cake made the texture a bit too moist. Ahh, well live, learn and share awful photos!
See, you mix a baked cake with frosting and make cake balls. Then you chill them and dip into chocolate. Chill again and dip the tops & decorate. That's the way you are supposed to do per Bakerella.
They are NOT supposed to look like this!But Snappy here thought she could do it from memory. Wrong in so many ways. :)
Good results or less than presentable ones, the dishes always get cleaned and I gear up for another adventure. Just another reminder to laugh at myself and remember there is nothing better than a good cupcake.
Especially ones with Alice's (from Sweet Savory Life) vanilla buttercream frosting recipe. It's heavenly..and easy. Luckily, I made 6 cuppies from the cakeball recipe "just in case." Phew!Alice's vanilla buttercream is sooo good. I even had all the ingredients in my fridge. And this is what you do to the butter...

Need I say more?
xoxo, Rachel


I've seen recipes for those bites, but have never tried to make them. They look messy. But it's the taste that matters, so who cares what they look like? I'm sure yours were delicious.
ReplyDeleteI made buttercream frosting for the first time yesterday. It tasted okay, but it was waaaay too sweet for me. Still, it was good on top of chocolate cake, LOL!
OH MAN! I MISS THOSE! CUPCAKE BITES COME TO ME! Mckynzye and I would have come over to help! Looks like you could have used us! :)
ReplyDeleteyour cupcake bites still look delicious even if they didn't turn out how you wanted them to! i've only made bakerella's cake balls before, i can't master the cupcake looking part! and that frosting... did you lick it off the off?? b/c i totally would have!
ReplyDeleteYes Mom2fur, the buttercream is super sweet, but in response to Sandy, I totally licked the paddle before I washed it! Mmm, I have no willpower over sugary goodness! :)
ReplyDeleteKaleena, I could have used you and Mckynzye's help BIG time!!! Total disaster...haha Your little baking queen would have made it all better. :) Love you dearie!
-Rachel
Well, they don't have to look pretty to taste good! :) But there is fun in the presentation, I'm with you there. Hmmm, this is giving me a morning sugar craving....
ReplyDeleteSo glad to know that I'm NOT the only one who sometimes has what I tend to label "epic fails" in the kitchen that taste great, but somehow rarely end up serving their intended purpose! ha! :)
ReplyDeleteOn another note...I think I'm going to try this frosting! thanks!
Your site is absolutely adorable! Thanks for including me in your post. I adore Bakerella too!
ReplyDeletePS: If you're on Twitter, let me know. Would love to follow you.
@savorysweetlife
I heart Bakerella! I think your cupcake bites turned out good! I tried her cake balls last year and made Easter eggs and chicks. It was so much work!! I didn't think I was ever going to finish them. But they were darn delicious
ReplyDeleteFor me they look great and delicious:)...loved your site...
ReplyDeletexxx