Archive

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Veg Garden - Take 1

We are planting our first veg garden at our house. It is very exciting! Mr. Ed is helping us out because he is a pro. I love my daddy!

Mr. Schalk built some uber cool raised cedar boxes to house our vegetables and herbs. Now, to decide what to plant. My dad and gramps have had veg gardens for..ev...errrr (name that movie). Gramps, at 97 years young, does not garden anymore, but he was a veg king in his heyday. I still remember the sweet baby strawberries that lined his massive garden. Oh, they were delicious! Grandma kept beautiful peonies off to the side between two huge trees. Magical!

My dad is a pro gardener and can grow anything. He also is an expert landscape designer. Very creative designs! Dad not only knows his plants but exactly how and when to use them. You should probably call him if you need any landscaping done at your abode (and happen to live in Central Indiana.) He is the best!


One of dad's veg patch creations

And yes, I am a bit bias.


Backyard garden oasis...nicely done Mr. Ed!

But, seriously, he's the BEST!





I am sure many more posts will follow as Mr. Schalk and I embark on our first gardening adventure. We now have dirt/compost in our boxes and are getting educated on square foot planting. Seeds will be planted and TLC will be showered down in the coming days. Get excited!

I will leave you with a few photos from this past week. Enjoy!


Mr. Schalk leveling out the boxes. Bonnie...uh...uh...supervising!


Veg boxes makes dogs goofy!



Life is SO good!


xoxo, Rachel

4 comments:

  1. I'm lusting after your veggie/herb garden. Can you make an appt for me with your dad? Or is DC to far? Oh yeah, and I only own "air" space. I can't wait to see all the dishes you whip up this summer with your fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some sweet garden beds! Love them!
    Hmm....someday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do raised beds this year. I've already had 2 different gardens. one big in ground, 4 very low raised beds that my dogs were able to get to. Now I'm contemplating higher raised beds so the pooches won't eat my tomatoes!

    Love your photos. Especially that close up off your pup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting! Good luck with your garden. Holy wow your doggie is so cute : ) What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!