Tyler's recipes vary in style but are consistently delicious. Some of my other favorites from this book include the meatloaf recipe and the won ton soup. Both make my taste buds do the happy dance! These scones are especially delightful as they are moist, fresh and pop with flavor. Not your average scone experience. Trust me!
I made these blueberry scones with lemon heaven...I mean glaze...for a recent girl's night. I look forward to sharing a glimpse into this wonderful night full of amazing women and God's abundant love. I know Jesus was there, sharing in our laughter, our stories and our fellowship. It was a very special night.
As a small gift back to my sweet friends, here is the scone recipe. Seems small indeed. However, you all were very kind to enjoy them, and I am so glad you did! Cooking for my friends is one of my favorite activities. As is spending time with you wonderful ladies!

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
From Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen
scones:
2 cups flour, plus a bit more for dusting the blueberries
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
1 cup heavy cream
1 pint fresh blueberries
glaze:
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 2 medium lemons
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
the how-to's (paraphrased by moi):
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift the dry ingredients together.

Using a fork and knife, or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbles and the butter is coated with flour.
Make a well in the center and pour the heavy cream right in. Oh my! Fold together until just incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
Toss the blueberries in a bit of flour so they don't sink to the bottom when baked. Then carefully, fold them into the batter. Take care not to smush them or the dough will turn blue and you won't get the lovely pop that comes from keeping them whole. This is easier said than done, by the way.If you want to go the easy route, roll them into balls and put on an ungreased cookie sheet. If you'd prefer the traditional triangle shape do the following:
Press the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle. Tyler says it should be about 12 x 3 x 1 1/4 inches. I thought it was tricky to do this and not hurt the blueberries in the process. So, press as well as you can ensuring whatever shape you come up with is spread out in a relatively even manner.
Cut the rectangle in half, then cut those pieces in half again. Finally, cut the square-ish shapes into triangles and place the little beauties on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they smell heavenly and are a pretty brown. Let them cool before adding the bright and cheery lemon glaze.
To make the glaze Tyler gives a super easy alternative from the conventional double-boiler method. Combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a microwave-safe bowl, mixing until smooth. Add the lemon zest and butter. Nuke it on high for 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth and heavenly smelling.
If the glaze is too thin for your liking, I've found chilling it in the fridge helps thicken it up just a bit. Drizzle over the top and voila!
Enjoy for a breakfast treat, mid-afternoon snack, or in this case a wonderful girl's night soiree!xoxo,
Rachel

Loved them...can you cook for me everyday please?
ReplyDeleteYUM!!! These look Delicious! Thank you for the recipe. I definitely want to try these.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog and will come back again.
Have a wonderful, sunny day,
Joyce
Kaleena, I would LOVE to cook for you everyday! Can I have your amazing spa nights every evening? xoxo
ReplyDeleteJoyce, thank you SO much for visiting. I love your blog name and can't wait to check it out. Happy Tuesday!
ummm... yum.
ReplyDeleteThese look wonderful. And this may sound strange, but I love your mixing bowls!
ReplyDeleteMelinda, you make me laugh!
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily. I love those mixing bowls, too! Vintage Pyrex at its finest. My mom got them for me because she is super cool and knows I love polka dots! Moms are great like that! Thanks for visiting! :)
Oh my goodness, my mouth always waters when I visit your blog! My heart also always fills up with happiness with reading your writings. You are such a gifted writer and chef.
ReplyDeleteI passed on a SUNSHINE AWARD to you over on my blog today. Thank you for how you inspire me and so many others. Just love your unique and quirky perspective on life.
Lee Ann
These look great--thanks for sharing from the cookbook!
ReplyDeleteThis morning on Food Network, Tyler made another berry scone recipe in which he made the butter from scratch by blending the heavy cream in the food processor. He used the butter and buttermilk for the scone recipe. You should check it out--I'm intrigued too!
Found your site on Tasty Kitchen, just stoppin' by. Love your site.