Not wanting to play favorites mom and dad may have received a special treat, too. I don't know what these are "technically" called, but I call them "Pecan This and That's." Yes, I made that up. Yes, these cookies have a little of this and a little of that so it wasn't that hard to make up. Yes, I ate five. Or maybe twelve. It was Fat Tuesday, I lost count.Thank you Rosemary for all of our treats! We loved our surprises and so did our waist lines. No regrets!
Since today is Ash Wednesday, may I say to you all, "Happy Lent!" To celebrate the start of the Lenten season we had none other than Lentil soup for dinner. It just felt right. Here is my version if you feel so inclined. It was very tasty and is going to make for a even tastier lunch tomorrow. Soup is cool that way. I'm not sure if you've caught on, but I enjoy making soups. I adore baking, but if I have to cook something I would choose soups any day of the year. So here goes...
The Sky is Falling Chicken Lentil Soup
The Cast:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• Salt to taste
• 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1 pound lentils (1 small bag is usually 1 lb.), rinsed and picked of the icky ones
• 2 quarts veggie broth
• 2/3 cup mini farfalle (bowtie) pasta
• 1 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
• 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise (or pepper)
The How To's:
1. Cooking the chicken can certainly be done ahead of time. However, with my easy poaching method it is a cinch to cook while you get the soup started. My easy poaching method (courtesy of the Marshall Fields cookbook) is as follows: Oven to 375 degrees. Spray pan with non stick spray or oil. Place chicken in pan, salt and pepper the chicken and fill pan with ~ 1/4 inch water. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. When done let cool for a few minutes before cubing. This helps keep the yummy juices in and saves your fingers from burning. Yikes!
Onto the soup, which as mentioned can be started while the chicken is in the oven:
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until tender - 6 or 7 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes with juices. After a few minutes add the lentils, chicken, veg broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise (or pepper if you are going down that road).
3. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover for about 30 minutes. If you're in a hurry because church starts in less than 45 minutes, keep it on medium heat. After about 20 minutes, convince yourself the lentils are "done enough" and add the pasta. Cook for another 6-7 minutes and call it done.
4. Ladle into bowls and top with freshly shredded Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy with all your favorite loved ones.
Happy Lentil...I mean Lenten Season!
xoxo, Rachel



I'm a dork and forgot to put in the step of adding the chicken. Add when you put in the broth and you'll be good to go. I can't blog at work so I have to add as a comment from my phone. Such is life!
ReplyDeleteGlad that Bonnie liked the cookies. Mom called me the other day and said, "Guess what I am doing?" I said "what?" She said, "making doggie biscuits, I never thought I would be doing this." Her "Pecan This and That's" were soooo good I had about 5 (or 12 myself):). She dropped them off at my work and I started eating them, it was hard to save some for Nathan. Love ya lots and have a great night.
ReplyDeleteHi Theresa! Who would have thought your mom would be making doggie treats?! I'm so glad she did and so is Bonnie! She is still enjoying them. We are sadly out of Pecan This and That's but they were good while they lasted. I love you!!!!!! Hope you and Nathan are having a great weekend! :)
ReplyDelete