
Happy Fat Tuesday my friends! Or as it is more commonly known, Mardi Gras! We don't really celebrate Mardi Gras much up here, but how can you keep from smiling at a holiday called Fat Tuesday?! I love it!
Mr. Schalk and I do celebrate Lent each year, which begins this Wednesday, the day after Fat Tuesday. Lent is a period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. It represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness when he was tempted by Satan and remained faithful to God. People celebrate, or don't celebrate, Lent differently. That is what makes us unique! We celebrate Lent by giving up or adding something to our daily routines that makes us think about Jesus and his Supreme Coolness. Mr. Schalk usually goes all out and gives up junk food. He is a stronger man than me. I gave up chocolate one year and had to pray really hard not to give in to the sweetness. It was tough. The point is to spend the time of "sacrifice" remembering Christ's amazing sacrifice of his life for us. It also personally provides me with a swift kick in the booty to just how easy my life is. It is very humbling.
This post is about something deep, as well.
Deep fried, that is!
In honor of FAT TUESDAY here is a recipe the Mister and I made a couple weeks ago. The recipe is courtesy of the always lovely, always unique Giada de Laurentiis. I love Food Network and you know how I especially enjoy Giada at Home. I've made several of her recipes lately and have yet to be anything but yumified. Yes, I made that word up. It's my blog and I have free reign. Try and stop me!
Deep Fried Bocconcini with Spicey Tomato and Garlic Chutney
(Click title for recipe)
(a.k.a. the stinkin' best mozzy balls with spicy tomato chutney I ever indulged in)
(Click title for recipe)
(a.k.a. the stinkin' best mozzy balls with spicy tomato chutney I ever indulged in)
Ketchup or hot sauce also work, but this chutney is super fantastic. Tomatoes dance with garlic, cumin, cayenne and ginger making my tongue happy. P.S. It took maybe five minutes to mix and the rest was spent watching it do its reduction magic on the stove. Also, I forgot to buy red wine vinegar so I mixed what I had in the pantry - white wine vinegar and sherry. Worked for me. Point of the day: Use what ya got!
Frying is fun!All you need is a heavy bottom pot, a spider and veg oil. A fry thermometer is also helpful, but not necessary. Let's all say it together - frying is fun!
Double dipping the Mozzy balls is the secret to creating an amazing crust with a lovely amount of cheesy gooey insides.Doing my part to break every New Year's Resolution known to man. Thank you for your patronage.




I love Giada...she's definitely a fav in this house! You've inspired me to be fat today and LENTful tomorrow :-)
ReplyDelete