
I was drinking a bottle of water today and thinking how good it tasted. Then, I thought about how our fridge at work is stocked with fresh water and drinks. There are many people in the world everyday who would love the luxury of fresh water anytime they desired. There are many Haitians today who need water, need food and need prayer. The world continues to move, but may our hearts be moved to pray for our brothers in sisters in Haiti tonight. I cannot imagine their pain, their loss or their fear.
I began reading the book of Job a few days ago. We all remember the part where his friends started telling Job how he must have sinned big time for God to punish him with the loss of his family, his possessions and his health. We know God does not approve of this and rebukes those friends for saying such untruths. I've always looked down on these "friends" of Mr. Job's. But did you know that before his friends spoke they first came and sat in silence with Job? That was Jewish custom. To sit in silence with the one grieving. You did not speak...did not utter one word...until the suffering person spoke first.
I've been thinking about this post all afternoon. What do you say? How do you sum up the tragedy in Haiti, or any tragedy, in words?
You don't. So tonight I'm sitting in silent prayer. God's heart is grieving for his sons and daughters. May we all remember our neighbors in Haiti tonight.
A couple fellow bloggers aiding the relief in Haiti:
The Rusted Chain - Blessed Necklace
Pioneer Woman - A Different Kind of Giveaway
Photo from Compassion International
A very good organization if you are looking for another way to give.
Rachel, I am so on the same page as you with this. My heart grieves for the people of Haiti very deeply. It is so hard to put into words, as you have quite rightly said. Todd and I have been sponsoring two children through compassion for a number of years now, both in Africa, but yesterday we called Compassion to make an extra donation to the Haiti Relief effort. The world cannot stand by and watch these people suffer. I pray, yes, but I wish that I could so so much more.
ReplyDeleterachel, beautiful. i tried and tried to find the words, and i ditched my haiti post, because nothing i could say felt right. i simply couldnt the find the words. your post is perfection. thank you.
ReplyDelete