Archive

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Schalkboard Tuesday: Cake Balls Harvest Style


Well, it was certainly an eventful weekend for not doing much. Quite lovely indeed! The Colts are going to the Superbowl! Yay!!!!! I know you could definitely tell I was a football fan from my blog, right? Okay, maybe not…but I am. Really just NFL football, and especially the Colts. I watch the other NFL games to see how they will affect the Colts and because I like hanging out with Mr. Schalk. It's really the only sport I follow, and I really enjoy football season.


In other vital news, I tasted perhaps the best cake ball EVER this past week. My super fun friend Kari wrote on my Facebook wall that a local market, Harvest, in her neighborhood had cupcake bites that I should try out. She even asked if I could figure out how they were made. I think she was serious. Either way, I took her up on her challenge and marched (or drove) over to Harvest to try them out myself.


Oh yum! I knew as soon as I saw them where they got the idea. These looked all too familiar.

Liz's oh-so-colorful version of Bakerella's cake balls. Go Liz!

Yep, I would bet all my heart shaped sprinkles that the Harvest's cupcake bites stemmed from the always inventive Bakerella and her cake balls!


My friends and I made these last fall and had a BLAST! Well, we actually made this version of cupcake bites, but they are basically the same.


When I bit into the Harvest version I pretty much died from a combination sugar overdose and tastiness. My taste buds were thrilled! I've been cutting back on sugar so this was a huge hit of the good stuff into my veins.



They were amazingly good. Way better than my version and a total inspiration. They put mini chocolate chips into the top of their Red Velvets. Ingenious! And I believe I detected a hit of almond extract in the vanilla cake balls. Divine and my personal favorite of the four I tried. Red velvet was a close second.

Sadly, I did not recreate these cupcake bites in my kitchen. If I had I would have certainly have eaten the whole batch, which would have been bad. Very bad. However, I could tell they used a good quality chocolate and did not overdip, which was nice. There was just a thin coating of chocolate and some garnish to distinguish the flavors.

Align CenterStrawberry, Red Velvet, GO COLTS...uh, I mean Chocolate, and Vanilla! Oh yes!

Thank you Kari for introducing me to these little gems! I am definitely going to revisit Harvest for these adorable cupcake bites. At fifty cents a bite who can resist!? Sugary, delicious balls of yum!

Resolutions are so overrated!



For Schalkboard Tuesday's List here are some ideas to put your own twist on Cake Balls:
1. Decorate with your favorite sprinkles, sugars and chocolates.
2. Add an extract like almond, vanilla or peppermint to the icing or cake.
3. Try using a fancy pants chocolate like Scharffen Berger or Ghiradelli for dipping.
4. Add a treat! Try mini choco-chips in the top, nuts or a mini marshmallow in the middle.

Have fun!
xoxo, Rachel

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, those look yummy! Yum for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked them!

    They are oh, so, good... and for only .50 each definitely a much better (on the waistline) choice than making them yourself :)

    Ah, hmmm... cupcake truffles... I think I need to run to the market, I need, um,... Milk.. yeah, that's right, Milk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This Ozarks farm chick is famous for her chocolate truffles 'round Christmastime but whoa, cakeballs. Now that's a whole other ballgame. I'm goin' have to serve them up on the Ponderosa. Woohoo!

    Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day from the hills and hollers of Missouri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leann, yum for chocolate is right!
    Kari, you are TOO funny. Yes, you need milk...lots of cupcake truffles...uh milk! hehe
    Nezzy, thanks for visiting my corner of blogland. So great to hear from you and from Missouri! I bet your chocolate truffles are divine! I'd be happy to taste test for you. :) You'll love these little bites, too. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!