Archive

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Mr. S!

This past week we celebrated the uber-cool Mr. Schalk. It was his birthday!

We celebrated his special day with a nice dinner at Petite Chou. Oh yum! It was a work day, though, so we didn't get to celebrate as much as we'd (I'd) like. I adore birthdays and celebrating my loved ones! Especially, Mr. Schalk's special day. So, of course we had to celebrate this weekend, too.

Bonnie had to help Daddy with the presents!

Hey, Mr. S, it's your birthday what would you like to do?

What?

Really?

Okay, we'll cook dinner for my parents for your birthday.

That's right, that's what he wanted. So, we did.

Pork Tenderloin with an amazing spice rub, roasted beets/potatoes/carrots, endive salad w/blue cheese and walnuts and potato pancakes with tarragon and loveliness. Oh YUM!

And it was fun. Really fun!


Bonnie is in heaven.


I think Mr. Schalk enjoyed himself, too.


Mr. Schalk is not much of a cupcake man, but I did manage to squeeze one in.


Cupcake wine. I don't know if it's any good, but I had to get it.

Don't worry, he got real presents, too.


For birthday dessert, Mr. Schalk was supposed to get homemade cherry almond ice cream and brownies. The brownies turned out yummy, but the ice cream…well, the ice cream is still setting up. It tasted almondy and delightful, so if the texture would cooperate we may have one fine recipe. Almond extract, chocolate pieces and fresh black cherries....please set up mister ice cream so I can indulge in your deliciousness. I'll let you know how it turns it out in 18 years when it's finally set (fingers crossed).

The brownies came from a recipe from a wonderful lady named Angie. I babysat her three adorable boys when i was younger. They are the reason I wouldn't mind having my own boys one day. She is vibrant, funny and an all around great lady. And she makes killer brownies!

Here is the recipe. It's super easy and VERY yummy! I made one tweak by using Agave nectar instead of corn syrup or honey. I thought it added a nice floral taste without too much sweetness. You can use whichever you fancy.

Brandon's Birthday Brownies
(a.k.a. Angie's Best Brownies)

Brownie:
  • ½ cup butter melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

Frosting:

  • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar (found in any grocery store, aisle 13 in Meijer)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” square baking dish. Stir together melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well with spoon. Set aside.
  2. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt and gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Spread into pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  3. To make frosting, beat butter, cocoa, agave, and vanilla until blended. Add powdered sugar and milk. Beat to spreading consistency.
  4. Spread with frosting while the brownies are still warm but not hot. Let frosting set.

Happy Birthday Mr. Schalk! I'm so glad you were born. God loves you and so do I!

xoxo, Rachel

5 comments:

  1. cupcake wine?! what was it like?! disgusting or delicious? also..where in the world did you get the superman paper, how amazing is that?! making these brownies of yours tomorrow. i have everything listed! yeipppee! even the agave nectar. go brownies go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. happy birthday to brandon. you are such a great, fun, hip wife. who finds superman wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful birthday celebration!! Thanks for sharing an awesome brownie recipe! I will definitely give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday. wow thats all he wanted i am surprised. how lovely to have dinner.

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!