Archive

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Puddin' Head Gingerbread Men


Happy Tuesday bloggers and readers! Because it's Tuesday and Charlie Brown Christmas is on and because you all are such sweet readers I want to share my favorite Christmas cookie recipe with you. It is one that my family enjoyed making ever since I can remember. Thank you mama for all the wonderful memories of cookie baking and cutter choosing. I always got to pick which cookie cutter to use. Although, we did have to make sure the same shape was used on the whole sheet. Helps for consistency, ya know. Wouldn't want a burnt tree and a soggy gingerbread man. That would be tragic for the holiday taste buds. Oh my, please pardon me for a second...

...okay, I'm back. I had to retreat to the kitchen to grab a couple of these lovely Christmas cookies before sharing the how-to's. For you see, a cookie post must be authentic. Yes, that's it..I'm stuffing my face with gingerbread cookies to be "authentic." In fact, in the spirit of all things authentic I am even going to share the top secret tip for keeping these babies at their peak. Stay tuned!

Puddin' Head Gingerbread Men
by Patty Rhine




Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 package cook n serve butterscotch pudding mix (dry)

1 egg

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Brachs Red Hots (opt.)


How To's:
1. Mix all the ingredients the way you usually do for cookies (dry into wet...you know the drill) except for the Red Hots.

2. Chill until the dough is firm enough to roll. About 1/2 hour in the freezer works well.

3. Roll 1/8” thick and cut out with cookie cutters. Put Red Hots on cookies if desired. The combo of red hots on top and ginger/cinnamon in the cookies are divine! They also look adorable with red hot buttons.

4. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 6 - 8 minutes.

Note: I think the flavors come out once the cookies are completely cooled, but it is completely up to you when you're ready to indulge.


There you have it. Super easy and super seasonal. Ginger, cinnamon and Christmas memories!

And the top secret?

If you want to keep your puddin' heads soft and delicious then put a piece of bread in the cookie container. Otherwise, these little darlings get pretty crunchy in a day's time. You probably knew that trick, didn't you? You all are such smart cookies!




Enjoy Christmas traditions new and old!

xoxo, Rachel

8 comments:

  1. oo yummy! I have to try this recipe now! I love making christmas cookies!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looking Rachel! Wish I could find red hots here! I'll have to make do with currants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys like the recipe. It is very yummy and Christmas-y. Marie - currants would make a yummy twist. What a shame they don't have red hots in the UK.
    Jacque and Andria - Thanks for the comments. Don't you just love cut out cookies - they are so cute! Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make these this weekend with my son! I can almost smell them baking : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I defintely want to make these! Gingerbread men are always the cutest and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel! So sorry to miss you today...I'm in Ohio with the fam and I'm getting ready to make your adorable gingerbread men, but I have one question before I head off to the store - is it a big or little pack of pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie! That's okay. Hope you have a great time with your fam. I'm so glad you're making the cookies. It's a small (3.5 oz) box of butterscotch cook n serve pudding. Merry Christmas! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!