Archive

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Carroll County


It's a quiet night in Carroll County. Not my current county of residency, but one I called home for a very formidable part of my life - my childhood. Mr. Schalk and I spent a lovely evening with friends - most of which I've know for at least two decades of my 27 years. Great food and tons of laughter made the evening quite enjoyable. The Duff's fall parties always equal a good time!

Now it's quiet, except for Eric Clapton belting out Mr. Johnson tunes, and I am reflective. Thinking of my dear friends. I'm sure you would agree that friendships often go through seasons. Some seasons cause friendships to wane and others cause them to grow. Friendships can change with schedules and just plain life. I often stop to thank God that these friendships have not just lasted but seem to be getting deeper despite the business of the day-to-day. I would love to sit and have days on end filled with tea and catching up with the girls, but that is not my current luxury. Yet.


I praise God for my blessed life. He is faithful and hears my heart's desire for deep friendships. I may not be able to spend as much time as I would like with them, but I do get to see them often. The blessing is in the longevity and sincerity of these friendships. God is working on my heart to get my priorities lined up to His will. Priorities like seeing my Carroll County girls more often. Through growing up, marriages, babies, and moves my friends are still a huge part of my life. My rocks, my friends who "knew me when." There is a sweetness in hearing old stories and knowing that you weren't the only one who grew up in Carroll County. Such beautiful women, mature and kind. They are honest and real.


People's character is not built on the place they were born but on the choices they make and the people that touch their lives. There was a time that I thought I would not reflect anything that my hometown gave me. I was small minded and could not see the value in my upbringing. I knew the value in my family. I respected the lessons they taught me, and the freedom they gave me to choose my destiny and follow God's nudging. However, there was certainly a time that I could not take the corn fields and sweet souls that my life had been blessed with and truly see the amazing value in them. These days, I am blessed with a deep seated respect for the abundance of laughter and innocence that my upbringing granted me. A joy that was pure and honest. In seeing value in the farmer's work and respecting people for being different.


All this to say that I adore my friends. Especially the ones who still invite me to their fall parties and laugh at my goofiness. One of the few places I can declare that I am "weird" and still feel accepted. I hope to see you all again very soon!

xoxo,
Rachel

3 comments:

  1. well, here come the sweet tears. beautifully written Rachel. wish i could have been there. perhaps i'll have to swallow my pride of hosting at my parent's house and revive our christmas party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always give me something to think about!

    btw...you were right across town from us! glad your evening was enjoyable. i know it's special to be with friends, esp ones who've loved you through the thick and thin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Abigail you are so sweet. We missed you at the party! Your parents house is great and what matters is YOU being there. I'd hang out with you at the Marathon gas station if it meant we could all be together. :) Love you bunches!

    Rachel, thank you for the comment. I hope you are enjoying Carroll County again. :) Don't you just love those friends who are just like family? Blessings indeed!

    Have a great day ladies! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!