Archive

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Aisle 13...a.k.a. The Butter Post


Normally I avoid aisle 13 at all costs this time of year. Normally I avoid meijer in general this time of year. But I'm not normal. And butter was on sale.

Ahh, the butter sale. Back oh-so-long ago when I was still a newlywed, and didn't just look like one, I read something about butter. It was during the three month jobless penniless bliss where I stayed home and fell in love with the Food Network. But that's another story.


Somewhere among those days I read/heard/saw something that said it is a good idea to buy quality brand butter. The better the butter (say that three times fast) the better the recipes turn out. I'm sold. As butter can be pricey they suggested keeping an eye out for sales on the good stuff. For some reason that idea stuck..sticked...stook...whatever.

Since you can freeze butter for up to 4 months why not stock up when it's on sale? I know genius, right? I tell everyone that matters to me. "For your well being, pocket book and hips, buy quality butter on sale!" They don't seem to get as excited as I do. I still love them, but they won't be getting my signature butter winter scape in their stockings. Their buttery loss.

Believe it.

So I did it. I went to aisle 13. The baking aisle. It was crazy! Don't go to aisle 13 two days before Thanksgiving if you value your sanity. Or your big toe. But if you need a break and have four thousand extra years to spare waiting to get to the cake mixes then go. Go and be bold! Be Courageous! Be FESTIVE!

Butter is bold. Cuppie is in awe.

Then when you go to checkout with your chocolate cake mix, butterscotch pudding and butter you can smile at the savings you've earned and the sense of accomplishment felt from surviving the walk down aisle 13.

And you'll actually smile when the grandpa with a cart FULL of thanksgiving delicacies apologizes to the twenty-something girl with two items that he cut in front of. Because the twenty something will be full of festive cheer and grace and tell him it's okay. She'll take the checkout beside him that yours truly is finishing up on. Then you two twenty-something ladies will exchange smiles knowing you both think he is a precious grampy man. And you'll walk away from over crowded meijer with it's insane aisle 13 full of love. Because that is the beauty of the holidays, grampies and my hormones.

The end.

No butter was harmed, or wasted, in the creation of this post. I mean seriously, it's ME we're talking about here. Waste butter? I'd rather lose my big toe in Aisle 13.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. And I LOVE Grampies. And sadly, very sadly, I love butter.... MAN! I wish I did NOT love butter!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!