
Shakertown, Pleasant Hill, Kentucky - October 2009
Some days feel more cottage-y than others. Today, is one of those. It is one of those days that I just want to relax on the sofa, with a cup of hot cider, and a crackling fire. Except it's 65 degrees out, so there will be no fire tonight.
Perhaps it's a cottage-y evening because we just got back from a lovely getaway to Shakertown. I always feel calm and homey when I visit this sweet Kentucky getaway. I have been visiting Shakertown since I was a widdle baby crying in my mama's arms. In fact, I believe my parents went before we were even born. Mr. Schalk and I visited for the first time together on our way home from South Carolina in 2004.
As I am sure you can gather from the name, Shakertown, or its formal name of Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, is a village that the Shakers once inhabited. Yes, Rachel, way to state the obvious. The Shakers were a Protestant religious group similar to the Quakers but with less oatmeal. They were formed around the 1600-1700's and made their way to Kentucky in the 1800's. They believed in family and everyone being brothers and sisters. They were simple, yet enjoyed music and community activities.
These days, Shakertown is a museum of sorts. You can stay there in the original Shaker buildings and eat authentic Shaker dishes, which are delicious! You can also walk through different museum areas, watch reenactments and explore and hiking trails.

For you cool people there are also lots of farm animals. I adore farm animals! You should, too. If you want. I am not going to force you, but how could you pass these guys up?


There are no cars allowed inside the village. You have to park your car and walk everywhere. It really adds to the ambiance. It's so peaceful and quiet here. The world and bustle seem to melt as you explore God's beauty and creation.

The rooms have authentic Shaker touches, like simple paint colors, wood floors and pegs on the walls. However, they have upgraded to Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses. You won't hear this girl complaining. Yeah, comfort!
Taking pictures here is just natural. It's almost therapeutic. Like the mattresses. Sort of.

Mr. Schalk and I adore hiking and taking photos of the beautiful scenery of Shakertown. We visit often and still find new things to capture. Like the rare car on the back roads of the village. Rare indeed!

If you're in the area you should really consider visiting. Shakertown is a not-for-profit organization whose income is largely based on its visitors. The rooms are extremely reasonable and very comfortable. You can even rent out a whole house for a big family. That is super fun to do! We enjoy visiting in the cold weather, but they are open year round. The food is yummy and the people are absolutely delightful! They always make you feel welcome.

We can't wait to visit you again lovely Shaker Village! Thanks for the hospitality!
xoxo, Rachel



like the Quakers but with less oatmeal...oh Rachel, you crack me up! i love shaker town and it has been far to long since I've been there. i'm pretty sure my parents went there as part of their honeymoon even! such a lovely getaway...and i would love to try the new mattresses, especially since i think i'm long overdue for an upgrade from the trundle bed i usually got there (oh, being the baby of the family of all boys!).
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool that your parents went there for part of their honeymoon, Abigail! That's funny that you were sequestered to the trundle. My sister and I used to fight about who was going to get to sleep on the trundle. Two different families - two different trundle views. I love it! (and yes, the "real" beds are SO much lovelier than those trundles.) :)
ReplyDeleteRachel that looked gorgeous. I would love to visit a place like that. Those photos were really great. Has anyone ever told you your husband resembles Ed from the Bachelorette??
ReplyDeleteAnyway thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me that sweet comment today. So nice to have people understand where you are coming from:) Have a great evening.
Soo cute! I love cozy places to visit. I also love the oatmeal comment :-) Keep the quirky humor coming!
ReplyDelete