
Tonight is the 4 year wedding anniversary for Mr. Schalk and me. Actually, it was all day long. The celebration dinner was tonight, though. I wanted to make dinner this year. Don't be fooled. Mr. Schalk is an excellent cook and often shares or makes dinners all himself. He makes a perfect steak! I'm tellin' ya it's absolutely perfect!
But, tonight I wanted to make him dinner. The menu was rather simple. A quick saute of asparagus and red pepper. We like our veggies crisp. Accompanying the veggies was some lovely Jasmine rice. So simple with a great fragrance all it's own. I adore the smell of Jasmine rice.
The main course was my own combo of a South Beach recipe and a suggestion from the fish market man at whole foods.
Snapper In A Snap! (with fresh lemon aioli)Serve to your sweet hubby, friend, or neighbor. Watch them clean their plate. Smile at the deliciousness of such an easy meal. Relax because you have time to laugh and talk instead of being exhausted from a labor intensive meal after a hard day at work.
Ingredients:
2 snapper fillets (aprox. 4 oz each)
2 eggs
1/2 cup coarse corn meal
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup light mayo
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed OR a few sprinklings of garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease baking dish with olive oil.
2. Mix corn meal, cayenne pepper, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl crack two eggs and whisk together.
4. Dip snapper fillets into egg mixture then dredge into dry corn meal mixture.
5. Bake for approximately 14 minutes, flipping once until fillets are cooked throughout and opaque.
6. While fish is baking, whisk lemon juice, garlic and mayo. Easiest aioli eva!

This could be the first recipe I post on Tasty Kitchen. I was hoping my first would be something like kiwi ice cream or trail mix cookies without the hike. I guess fish is okay, too. It was pretty tasty, which fits well with the site. I'm good at stating the obvious.

This picture is from our honeymoon. Mr. Schalk took it. It's Glacier National Park in Montana. It deserves a post all it's own. I just had to include it in this post. It's my "transition shot."
All day long, I had sentiments running through my my head of our four years of Mr. & Mrs. Schalk. I adore Mr. Schalk. He is the bread to my butter. I know that life is relatively easy right now. Few responsibilities, few real challenges. At least, that is the way it feels and what people remind us of. I realize that life often presents challenges and obstacles. Yep, I get it. The thing is - those are going to happen whether I'm alone or with my best friend. So, wouldn't I rather walk down the road - as winding and unpaved as it might be - with my best friend? Even, if at times it seems more difficult than if I'd walked it alone? I cannot imagine any other man beside me than Mr. Schalk. I respect this man like no other. I try to respect everyone, but there is something extra special about him. I believe with all my heart that God brought us together. He is such a perfect fit that I could certainly not have chosen him myself.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you for the laughter that fills our home. Thank you for the compassion, the strength and the integrity that emanate from my husband day in and day out. Thank you that you ALWAYS come first above each other and above all other thoughts. You are our soul's desire and I am thrilled to make this journey to heaven with Mr. Schalk by my side.

Lord, help me to be a good wife. A kind, honorable, selfless wife. One who thinks of my husband and others above myself. Who wakes early and praises you. Who respects her husband and creates a loving home for him. Who is true to herself and the unique person you intend her to be.

Life is not easy. I'm good at stating the obvious. But, I'm also good at being optimistic. Life will happen whether we fret or whether we find sweet blessings in the small things. Tonight I am grateful for easy dinners, a peaceful neighborhood, resting under Jesus' wings and a wonderful husband who loves the Lord and loves me.
xoxo, Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment