Archive

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

an interesting spin

growing up


I found out last week that my favorite oldies station in town got bought out. This was a major blow to my car rides. I adore the oldies. They remind me of growing up in a big way. As in, my big sister would not let me listen to anything but oldies for the first 10 years of my life. Basically, until she could drive and bossing me around took second fiddle to having a life of her own. It's okay, I'm not bitter. hehe

In truth, I was a little bitter at the time, but now I think it's funny. Now, I am grateful to know all of these great 50's and 60's songs by heart. They are my comfort and put me in a great mood. Insta-joy makers! The Shirelles, the Tempations, the Beach Boys. Did I ever tell you about the time I saw the Beach Boys in concert? My mom is laughing right now. I thought I saw the Beach Boys live. I was 5...I remember it to this day. Looking up thinking they were the REAL Beach Boys, not the live cover band at some Florida beach site. Whatev. They are still real to me.

Ironically, the first person to admit following my blog (well, officially clicking "follow") is my dear friend Julie who actually saw the REAL Beach Boys in concert a while back. Lucky girl. Aren't they great Julie? I saw them when I was 5 and thought they were fantastic. Oh wait.

You get the idea. I love my oldies. Good oldies stations don't come around these parts often. When I found 101.9 I was one happy camper. I was 5 years old listening to my sisters Supremes tapes in the closet again. Scott "Roddy" Records, the afternoon deejay at 101.9, knew his tunes. This guy was amazing. He knew everything about every song and made my drive home enjoyable. Then, out of the blue they tell us loyal listeners that their station was sold!

Whaaaaa?

They were being replaced by a new format (gag me) as of 6pm on September 15th. No night riders for these deejay's. They even had a farewell tribute show. I was still bummed. Royally bummed. Last night on the drive home they were playing the last of the oldies for Indy. I dreaded going to work this morning. What would be playing? Country? Repetitive "hits" from 1993? I was seriously upset about this. Then, it happened. I got in the car and the key. The radio was set to 101.9 from the night before. Out of my speakers came...

...Matthew West, "The Motions".

...Jesus loving Matthew West. And I thought, only the fuzzy 90.5 station plays this song. Could it be? Could it seriously be the station I have been longing to get in clearly? It was...

K-Love!

Seriously Lord? This is what I said. Seriously? You replace my oldies with K-Love? YOU ROCK LORD!!!

Our K-Love at 90.5 was so fuzzy. I desperately wanted "positive and encouraging" music for my drives, but could not bear the barely there frequency that only tempted me with joyful tunes.

I would have loved to have both a clear K-Love frequency and my beloved oldies. However, I have to say this was the best replacement ever. Clear encouraging upbeat Christian music. Yay! The K-Love deejays even did a morning shout out to the "new" Indianapolis frequency.

I miss you oldies and great 101.9 oldies deejays. I pray you will find awesome opportunities out there. Thanks for everything!

God is so interesting and creative. I never ceased to be amazed by His plan. Amazed and surprised.

As Miz Booshay from Quiet Life says, Encourage one another!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I love that we both went to a "Beach Boys Concert". Since there are no original boys left they are really just a touring cover band. The Beach Boys, fake or real, still make my heart smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i listen to klove every morning... and they were talking about you guys switiching over from the oldies station the other morning... how funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie - The Beach Boys make my heart smile, too!
    Melinda - Talk about a small world! :)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!