
Oh me oh my! The lovely Liz Russell made these beautiful and delicious chocolate covered strawberry mallow pops today. Although, by the time I post this it will have been a couple days ago. Yikes! We live too far away from each other for me to try hers so I had to make my own. Oh darn, make my own adorable mallow pops. Whatever will I do? (Praise the Lord for this fun activity then eat one of them...or eighteen. What? Strawberry marshmallows and baker's semi-sweet is a to die for combo. Liz is genius!) Lucky for US she was kind enough to share the recipe on her blog. Aren't they astinkindorable?!
Needless to say I was very excited to try my hand at these little gems. After mowing a sweet older ladies lawn (well, B mowed..I just trimmed and played with Bonnie), making and eating dinner and a nice walk around the neighborhood it was FINALLY time.
I will let you read the actual recipe on Liz's site. It's straight forward and super easy to follow.
The only things I would add are:
1. Don't heat the chocolate for too long or this will happen:

Ooops!
This is what you want. Drippy chocolate amazingness!

2. It helps to tap the edge of the choco covered mallow stick on the side of the bowl Bakerella style to avoid dripping.
3. Baker's semi-sweet chocolate is so yummy with the strawberry marshmallows! I almost used regular chocolate chips but "splurged" for the Baker's. Totally worth it! It makes them taste more rich and helps balance the super sweet mallow. Trust me. Trust Liz. Yum.
4. Make sure your white balance is set properly when using hubby's camera for pictures.
bad white balance
good white balance
Well, hello there mister blue top mallow pop. You are so cute!
(Note: I had no idea what the problem was or how to fix it but thanks to mr. schalk's tutorial and a long walk to clear my mind I was able to get better shots than the original icky ones. phew!)

Liz is such a dear soul. I love her creativity more 'n fresh oregano! These were so fun to make! Definitely able to be done after work without getting exhausted and overwhelmed. In fact, I could make these every night and be a happy camper. Albeit, a chubby happy camper, but happy nonetheless. Does anyone say "albeit" anymore? I love that word. It sounds like it should be a nerdy english boy's name. "Albeit, bring me your schoolwork, jolly oh!"
Pet pig wanted a piece of sweetness and grabbed this guy while my back was turned. Sneaky pig!
Happy mallow pop making!
I've been waiting for this!! Oh I just LOVE IT! and love you! The pictures are perfect and so are your mallows. I especially love the first picture a lot and I can't figure out why, there is some kind of 'mood' going on with it. Like I could pull it out of a 70's magazine or something.
ReplyDeleteI am pretty thrilled you made these and loved them. Marshmallows are all "Hey eat me, we have zero fat! It says so right here on the packaging!"... but then its like "you liar.. you are full of sugar and carbs. BE GONE"....
i think bad white balance looks retro, which could be a great thing, depending on what you use the picture for!
ReplyDeleteohhh,I like retro (as you can probably tell from some of my other photos). I never thought of it that way, Abigail. Yay for bad white balance! I feel liberated. ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Liz...you are a cutie butterfly girl! I like the 1st picture, too. It doesn't have any actions applied because my fave PW seventies action makes food shots look gross. I agree, there is something about that photo has a mood to it. Maybe it's the choco smudge on the stick. hehe ;)
ReplyDelete