Archive

Friday, August 28, 2009

A post of choice.



To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.
- Kofi Annan

Life is a series of choices that determine the road you walk down. It is interesting to think that a choice is not a singular event but one that affects the next choice and ultimately your destiny. Some choices seem small – will I eat carrots or cake (or carrot cake)? Some are large – will I pray for my enemy or seek revenge? The interesting part is that they are all put together in a chain called life. Eating carrot cake will cause me to be tired, chubby and emotionally satisfied. Carrots will give me nutritional value, health and mental satisfaction. I’m not trying to imply that we should get so caught up in every decision that we forget to live and interact with the world. It’s just interesting to think about. It helps me to put things in order when I realize that it’s all a choice.

I can choose to look on the bright side and be blessed or I can choose to wallow in the imperfections and be brought down to a worldly level. My job may be monotonous at times, but I work with kind people and I know this job is only for a period of time. I may not know for how long or what will come after, but I do know that God has a plan for me. Right now His plan is for me to be here in this office and to interact with these specific co-workers. Hopefully, I am bringing the joy and light of Christ to this office. Sadly, I don’t always make that choice. However, Jesus is working on my mind and heart in this matter. I feel blessed to have experienced a very bad job situation that has allowed me to be grateful for this quiet time of reflection in my current job. God is working on my heart. I can feel it in the choices I make. I hope He is doing the same for you. It’s refreshing to reflect on blessings – even when they are hidden in monotonous office tasks that seem silly at times. I must remember that God’s choices are perfect, well timed and the most important.


What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our willingness to choose life.
- Leo Buscaglia

In my mind, I add onto this quote by saying that in choosing life I am choosing to follow the Holy Spirit's nudging and live a life aimed at being a joyful Christ-like girl.
Choices I am making today:

To gossip or to stay quiet.
To exercise or not.
To pray or to live blindly.
To think of others or to be selfish.
To eat snickers bars or veggies…or both.
To think positively about the upcoming job change or to worry and complain.
To be confident in God’s grace or to walk in fear.

Choices, choices, choices. What a gift to be able to choose!


One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choice one makes…and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.
- Eleanor Roosevelt


2 comments:

  1. Rachel..
    Fun to find you blog! Thanks for sharing your heart and your wisdom! It has blessed me today.
    Hugs...Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! I really enjoy reading your blog, too! Have a wonderful Sunday! :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!