Archive

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bloggers for Birth Kits


I literally cannot look at this photo without crying. I look at her beautiful face and I see pride, hope and a mother's heart. Her sweet baby, full of trust, asleep on her shoulder. She knows the joy, the hard work and the unadulterated love that exists between her and her baby. This photo tells a story a million words could not duplicate. The bond of a mother and a child is pure, strong, and courageous. This sweet mama has life where many other women in her country may have the same gift of raising their children.

Did you know that in rural Papua New Guinea the rate of maternal death is 1 in 7? Can you imagine not knowing if you would be alive to raise your baby, love on them and nurture them each day? To be completely honest, it is almost beyond my comprehension. When I was pregnant I never thought about not being alive after I gave birth. The thought crossed my mind that complications could occur, but I knew I'd be in a hospital with doctors and medical attention. I worried more about what to pack in my overnight bag, and what outfit to bring Cricket home in. The thought of carrying your baby for 9 months with a strong possiblity that you would not be able to love on and nurture them into adulthood is startling.

Amidst the truth of this shocking maternal death rate there is hope. Adriel, an awesome mom from The Mommyhood Memos is putting together "clean birth kits" through an organization called YWAM Medical Ships. The kits are basic but can mean life to a mother in Papau New Guinea.


Every $10 donation supplies 5 birth kits for mamas in Papau New Guinea. Five! That is five mothers who get a chance at life. A chance at raising their sweet babies and providing them with what they need most - their mama.

It didn't hit home until I saw the photo of her mama and baby. She has the same look in her eyes that I have seen in my own reflection. When your baby falls asleep on your shoulder it's as if the world stops and all is at peace. It's a feeling that cannot be explained. It's power, it's security, it's crazy, raw love. It's the feeling of motherhood. I see her eyes and I know exactly what she is feeling. I want every mother to have the opportunity to hold their babies, who they carry lovingly for 9 months, in their arms. I want them to smother their little one with kisses, encouragement and strength.


Our family is donating to this awesome cause because we feel strongly that every mama deserves a chance at life, and at being a mother. I would please encourage you to do the same, if you feel nudged.  Each donation can mean a life-changing difference for mamas and their babies in Papau New Guinea. Every little bit counts.

There is really no cut off point. This makes a great Mother's day gift but kits are made and shipped year round. You can also make your own kits if you would like (see the video at the end of this post). If you would like to spread the word Adriel is encouraging other bloggers to blog about this awesome "Bloggers for Birth Kits" project. I would also encourage you to pray, if you are the praying type. Because prayer is real and it works. God hears every cry and every concern, even when words fall short. He hears our hearts. God blessed me with Adriel's story and I thankfully will never be the same. Because now I know just a little more about God's children in Papau New Guinea. Now, our family can make a little difference and walk along side others who are doing great things for those in need.

xo, Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, this post is just beautiful!! Thank you for getting involved in B4BK, but more than that, thank you for spreading a message to other moms about truly being grateful for the gift we share. xo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!