Archive

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Learning to be brave


This must be how all the brave become artists: Quit trying to fit. Why try to squeeze all your extraordinary into ordinary?

 I read these words and I get quiet. I look out the window as I finish my lunch and I think to myself, “Will my whole life be like this?” Will I always be confined to these walls of ordinary while my heart bursts at the seams for more? I am confident that I have talents unused, but fearful of exploring those and really digging into who I am. What am I afraid of? Getting found out? It doesn’t make sense when I write it. What is there to be afraid of if I am being true to myself? All the same, I know fear lies in the quiet dark waiting to capture me in its lies. Be gone and to God be the glory who gave me these creative desires. Yet, I still wonder. Will I live my whole life with this crazy longing, never being brave enough to let go…and fly?
So many times I don’t understand my purpose. I don’t see the forest for the trees. I survive without living. As a wife and a mother I feel alive and full of joy. These are the best days I've know. Personally, deep down in my creative soul, I feel...dry. When did I lose my spark? When did I lose my humor, my drive, my...self? I thought I grew past fear and then it crept up again. Crept up along with my desire to create something…anything…just to feel useful and alive. I’m tired of the ordinary.

In all these frustrations, I feel God coming back. He never left, but I can feel my heart getting directed back to him. Spring is in the air, and I feel just brave enough to dare to slough off the mundane. I am tired of this circle of self doubt, boredom and fatigue.  For the first time in 13 months (yes, 13 months!) I have slept. Truly slept. The dreams are coming back to life. This time I’m not going to stop them. Somehow I have to find a way to truly live in the little time I’m given. I must slow down and find Truth. In the Truth (God’s Truth) I am certain lie my dreams, my heart, and my canvas. I’m on a mission to find my creative heart again.

Inspired by Ann's post 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!