Archive

Friday, February 24, 2012

Cricket's 1st Birthday!

bunnybday
Our little Cricket baby turned one and oh, what a special day we had! I am not a party girl in terms of lots of people, but I LOVE decorating for special occasions. Someday, Cricket will have friends and want a birthday party with little girls and boys running around and I will happily oblige. Until then, birthdays are a family affair!
IMG_8634
IMG_8049decor
The night before I decorated our dining room for her big day. I wish you could all see it in person. The pictures are nice, but I don't think they capture the sweetness of the room. When I brought Cricket down in the morning and showed her the room decorated just for her, her eyes got real wide. I wasn't sure she would be that interested, but she was. My little observer took in the entire room and all the new decorations. Her favorite part seemed to be the photo banner. I printed each of her month pictures and hung them up with baby clothespins that Mr. Schalk put in my Christmas stocking. At the end I hung a vintage flinch "1" card that a sweet Etsy seller, Fuzzyra, included when I purchased some candle holders and mentioned it was for my girl's birthday. How kind! Cricket stared and smiled as we went through each picture. My heart was happy to see her enjoying the little things that were done in great love. I hope she felt special even if she did not realize what a big day it was (for her and for Mr. Schalk and myself.)
IMG_8353
IMG_8088
Whoa! Check out my cool birthday room! Streamers make me happy!!!
The room turned out just as I had imagined without spending much moolah. I bought red, white and baby blue streamers and made her a birthday hat. Her Happy Birthday banner, tissue poms, and birthday posters (the graphics at the beginning and end of this post were made into posters and hung up. I found the animals online as vintage valentines and reworked them in Photoshop and Illustrator) were all made with items I had on hand.  My sweet friend Ashley gave me some vintage birthday cards that were her mama's. That was extra special! I framed one and put it with Cricket's birthday cards on the plate rail. I used another one as the anchor to her photo tree (you can see it in the far left of the above photo.) Also extra special were the lillies Mr. Schalk brought home for his girl. They made the room smell divine and were just gorgeous! 
IMG_8648_w
Cricket and I hung out, playing and laughing all day. We enjoyed all of our meals in the dining room among all the fun. The sun was shining and it was a perfect day to celebrate our little girl. Bonnie even got her hair done for the big party. Lookin' good pup!
IMG_8174c
When Mr. Schalk came home we all had dinner together. We wanted a meal that Cricket could enjoy so we ditched the baby food and made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and her favorite (and mine) peas! To say she enjoyed it would be an understatement. I thought there was no way she'd have room for a cupcake. However, she is my daughter, which means she thoroughly enjoyed her sugary treat. In fact, we had to turn it upside down because she was just eating the icing off. I loved it!
CakeHatCollage
IMG_8090collage
IMG_8399c
After dinner, dessert and happy birthday singing we opened a few presents. Cricket received a couple new (vintage) books, a play drum, maracas, a ball, a wooden puzzle and baby trampoline. Abe Books, Amazon and Zulily made birthday shopping a breeze. Thanks guys!
IMG_8425
Opening presents takes deep concentration, dontcha know!

IMG_8452presents
Of all the presents in the world, she loves her Daddy and Bonnie the most!

We had such a special birthday just the three (ahem, four if you count Bonnie) of us! We are blessed to have our families come in over the next two weekends to celebrate even more. Cricket adores her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I will post about that soon.
It was a relaxed, fun-filled day celebrating a special girl and a special year. It is truly hard to believe that it has been a whole year since we welcome our little Cricket into the world. We are beyond grateful to have such a happy, healthy ONE year old! Cricket has changed our lives and our hearts forever, and we are over the moon in love with her...gee,. can you tell?! She just makes life so full and delightful!
puppyposter

Happy Birthday Cricket!!!!

xo, R

5 comments:

  1. So much fun! Your home looks so pretty decorated for her birthday. Those cupcakes look amazing!

    Her face when she's opening her presents...adorable! It's very serious business opening gifts : )

    Have an amazing weekend!

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday & happy days to the most beautiful family :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun time her birthday was Rachel!! I thoroughly enjoyed all the pictures. It was my granddaughter's first birthday yesterday. So far no pictures have been posted but I remain hopeful! Loved all your decorations and the hat is adorable. How very sweet! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very special Birthday for a very special little girl! It looks like you all had a wonderful day celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the way your celebrated her birthday. it looks like she had a great day and i love her high chair

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!