Archive

Friday, September 30, 2011

Goodnight Cricket

SousChefCollage
Mama's little sous-chef

My little sous-chef was quite a happy girl today helping me around the house. You would have never known she was up every two hours during the night or decided 6:30am was a perfect time to wake for the day. Silly girl, don't you know sleep is fun? I think she was a wee bit confused on the recipe binder. No, sweetie, you don't eat the binder, you make the recipe and eat that. Oh, how I love her and all her curiosity!

GoodnightPola1
I could just eat those little fingers right up!

We read Goodnight Moon every night as part of Cricket's bedtime routine. Most of the time she tries to eat the book. Tonight we sat on the bed like usual, and I began reading, "In the great green room..." Cricket sat beside me like a little lady and for the first time I watched as her eyes followed each page. She didn't try to eat the book, she just sat and enjoyed the story. She even looked up at me several times with a big grin and a little giggle as I read the all too familiar words, "Goodnight comb and goodnight brush....goodnight nobody, goodnight mush."

I was thrilled to give her a big smile back and affirm that this was indeed a relaxing and enjoyable activity to end the day. My heart just burst with pride as she listened to her story with obvious joy. I managed to snap a couple quick photos with my phone to remember the moment. I didn't capture the smiles that she gave as she looked up at me, but I have them in my mind to hold dear.

GoodnightPola2

This is life to the fullest. This is what makes my heart sing. I may be exhausted from too many sleepless nights, but it's all worth it for moments like these. Sleep well, baby girl.

Goodnight stars,
goodnight air...

...goodnight noises everywhere.

xoxo, Rachel

P.S. Here is a sweet review of Goodnight Moon. I love that she refers to it as a lullaby.


2 comments:

  1. That was my favourite book to read to my children when they were growing up Rachel. They loved it too. When my youngest daughter got older, she loved the Tales of the Little Grey Rabbit by Allison Utley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i do love that book. and isn't it amazing how babies get books? it just astounds me. and i love your positive attitude--sleepless nights are challenging, but it truly, truly is a blessing for those small moments during the day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!