I am by no means a baby expert, but I do know what my Cricket likes and what has worked for our family. Hopefully, these items will help you, as well. For other readers maybe this will help next time you are headed to a baby shower. Or, maybe you’ll skip over this post and go get a piece of pie to snack on. Also, a fantastic decision! Something for everyone!
Cricket’s Baby Faves:
Chicco Liteway Stroller (currently on sale at Target as of 8/28) - This is a fantastic all-around stroller. You can use it from day one as the seat folds down all the way for newborns or sleeping babes. The seat can also be partially laid back when baby is not quite supporting herself but also not a newborn. It's super easy to fold up and plop in the car and is a neutral color so your husband still looks manly pushing it.
We also purchased the Chicco Stroller and KeyFit30 Carseat in Romantic and have really been pleased with that, too. We got it for a steal from a really nice family off of Craigslist. Score!
Look at that hair! I forgot how much she had at a month old. Swoon!
Fisher Price My Little Lamb Swing - This was such a lifesaver the first few months before Cricket learned to sleep well in her crib. She loved the swaying motion and enjoyed both directions (side to side and it also goes front to back). I almost hopped in to take a snooze it looked so cozy.
Baby bouncer. We liked this one that we borrowed from a friend. We could take it from room to room and Cricket was able to see the world and still be cozy enough for a nap. Also, see the crinkle book in this photo? This is her favorite toy! We got this one as a gift, but I've seen other ones at various stores that are basically the same. Yay crinkle books!
Seahorse! Oh my, Cricket loves this little wonder. She goes to sleep every night to its sweet tunes and glowing light. She liked it in this picture, but now that she's a little older she LOVES it! Bonus, it's not annoying to Mr. Schalk or me...except that we occasionally hear the music in our heads at work and instantly fall asleep. Sorry bossman!
This ball is super cool! Cricket has enjoyed it since she was able to start picking up things. It's a lot like this one, which she also likes, but it is more bendy. This was also a gift...I think it was in the toy section and not the "baby" section.
Boppy – I have read other reviews/blogs about people using their boppy various ways including supporting a babe for tummy time and even as an ultra-cozy neck pillow for napping. Well done! I may be a rare breed but I LOVE breastfeeding with the boppy. Cricket is perfectly positioned and it is nice and cozy for both of us. Ours has a nice fuzzy cover with an added bonus of pockets. I keep my phone, nail file and sometimes a snack or two (just kidding…but not a bad idea) inside. Handy dandy!
Colic Calm – First two months…lifesaver. All natural (no baking soda, sugar or other grody ingredients), Cricket loved the taste and it really calmed her tummy as she adjusted to this big bright world. For us, it worked. And at 2am you do what works...am I right? Oh even yesser!
Headbands/hats - My friend, Kaleena, told me that if I wanted Cricket to be comfortable in cute headbands and hats to start from day one. She should know, she has two adorable girls of her own who love headbands and look so pretty in them! I took her advice and am so glad I did. Cricket is such a champ when I put headbands, hats and even sunglasses on her. So fun!
This is kind of a random list but fun to put together. There are so many products out there it’s hard to know what you “need” and what would be helpful. We have really gotten a lot of use out of these items, but every baby is different and none of these outweighed the importance of just being active and involved from day one. The truth is all babies really need is lots of LOVE. And, nourishment, a clean diaper and a bed. But love wins...always. Hugs, kisses and admiration go a long way…especially in babyland.
Sometimes all Cricket wants is to be held or snuggled. Swings and bouncers are awesome, but is there anything that compares to sniffing a baby’s neck and tickling their belly until they giggle in delight?
The first few months are...ahem, unique. For me, it was really difficult at times. My new insta-mom status was both the biggest blessing of my life (next to my salvation and my hubsters) and also the biggest challenge. What did that cry mean? Why won't she sleep if she's exhausted? Can I run away...just for a day? Um, no...you can't. And if you could you'd miss her like crazy...but it's okay to want to. Go make another cup of tea.
I still have days that are tough and I will always have tough days. These things were a great help, but more than the things I really appreciated other moms who didn't try to gloss over the reality of being a mom. Yes, it's awesome, rewarding and the sweetest gift ever. It's also tiring, hard work and constant. Of course, aren't all of life's greatest blessings the ones we put our whole heart, blood sweat and tears into?
I don't know much, but I know she is worth every ounce of effort I put into being her mama. Seeing that smile is like oxygen straight to my lungs. I wouldn't trade Cricket for anything in the entire world. That, my friends, is the best thing ever!
xoxo, Rachel









You are such a great advice giver : )
ReplyDeleteI love your list.
I think I should just buy all of the things on it and then tell Gary we absolutely MUST have a baby since I am well prepared. I am sure he will go for it! Or not. Darn it!
Apparently you and I are on a similar wave length this morning. I just posted about the yuckiness of the first month or so too! We hit 3 months today and you were so right about how much better motherhood is now :-) Love all the fav products. It's so true about how attached you get to the "things" that work! It's like a little puzzle you have to solve to figure out what works for your baby. And of course once you solve it the puzzle changes again...
ReplyDeleteThank you for the post friend!! :) I really enjoyed it!! -natalie
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I will have to bookmark this post for furture reference whenever we get preggers. :)
ReplyDeletethose first months are so hard. but once they're gone the memory quickly fades and becomes sugar coated. isn't that weird? love those last pics of the two of you...sweet!
ReplyDelete