How often do I hear myself asking God, “Let your will be done.” I do not know where to go, what to do or who to be without God’s hand guiding me. Even on days when I feel too tired to walk, and have to consciously remind myself to pray, I am nothing without His love.
Christ has taught us the way. “Not my will, but yours…” He asked for the cup of sacrifice to be taken from him but was fully prepared to do God’s will whatever that may be. God willed for Christ to be our sacrifice, and he consented. In His death, for us, he followed his Father’s will obediently and with joy. What an amazing act of grace!
I was blessed as usual by Ann’s blog, A Holy Experience, the other day. She quoted John Piper who said,
“God wills to know the actual, lived-out reality of our preference for Him over all things…”
This is God’s will. To choose Him willingly, even when we are tempted to choose things, people or situations above Him. Oh, how it seems the easy way to live each day for everyone else and myself. I needed this simple reminder to talk to God. To slow down and take time to be in an ongoing relationship with Him. To let the world go by the wayside for a bit and pick up where God and I left off in conversation. He is always waiting...always willing...always ready to spend time together. Why don't I always make this my ultimate priority?
I am always refreshed after spending time with God and in His Word. Is there anything richer in life? He wants us to desire Him above things and yes, even above each other. For through Christ and in God’s presence we are able to shine. We are able to become the gifts of grace He intended us to be. Made in His image, why would we do anything but thrive in spending time with God?
We seek relationships with those that mean the most to us. We naturally desire to spend time with those we trust, admire, and love. It is so easy for me let the day fly by, doing my “supposed to’s” only to fall asleep and realize I have not had a decent conversation with my Lord. Of all the things I do in a day none compare to time spent communing with God.
To slow down, breathe and seek God first is to live our days to the fullest.
Doing this creates better wives, better mothers, better friends and better workers. A runner runs the race and does not quit. If he falters, he picks himself back up because he knows he was meant to run all the way to the finish line. He is determined and focused.
The same is true for Christians. We are not meant to be alone and we are not expected to have the answers ourselves. God made us needy on purpose. He is the cool water that quenches our needs. Everything else leaves us thirsty. To run the race heavenward and with a constant desire to be in the presence of our awesome God is one of life’s greatest goals.
To be one’s best we must first rest in a relationship with our Maker. This is my goal these days and my heart's desire. What sweet joy is found in drawing close to God in all seasons!
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also…
-Matthew 6:21
xoxo, Rachel

What a blessing to read this right now. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I wish I could fully express how much this post meant to me this morning. Thank you for sharing your heart and this reminder so beautifully! The best I can do is respond with a heart-felt "Amen!"
ReplyDeleteSo timely for me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteoh what a reminder. to seek Him first. even before our little ones. :) and you are right, how much more refreshed do we feel after just spending some time with Him?! so why don't i do it more often?! i'm going to make some personal goals to do the same.
ReplyDeleteyou have such a beauty inside and out, rachel!
What a beautiful post Rachel. I know that I always feel better when I am walking closer to the Spirit. Love your little angel up top. What a cutie pie! xxoo
ReplyDeletebeautiful Rachel. i needed this today:)
ReplyDelete