We are blessed to have a fantastic art museum in our city that is admission free. Yes, you read that right. Our wonderful IMA (Indianapolis Museum of Art) is chock full of amazing art including 100 acres of gardens, wetlands and outdoor art all for the crazy price of free. Here is what we think of that...
Yippee!
It was in the 90's this weekend so we decided to stick to the indoor exhibits. Mr. Schalk and I love some good art, dontcha know? In fact, it would not be too far of a stretch to say we fell in love during an Art History class in college. We knew each other before, but it was during the year we took our Art History courses that we really became enamored with one another.
The IMA has one floor of European and American art. Rembrandt, Gauguin, Cezanne, Edward Hopper - all the best!
Vincent Van Gogh - Landscape at Saint-Rémy (1889)
Cricket studies her first Van Gogh. Nothing like starting her young. Makes this Mama so proud to think she may enjoy art as much as her parents!
They just started their movie series for the summer. Films like Superman, Blue Hawaii and Top Gun are all shown out here in their Amphitheater. You can pack a picnic and make it a night. Just look at those gorgeous grounds!
Charles Willson Peale, George Washington at Princeton (circa 1788)
Theodor Groll, Washington Street, Indianapolis at Dusk
(What Indy city life looked like in 1883. Artwork created 1892-1895)
(What Indy city life looked like in 1883. Artwork created 1892-1895)
Cricket's first Georgia O'Keefe. Perhaps Mama is more of a Georgia fan than babycakes. She was a great little museum goer. She stayed in her stroller most of the day and was happy in my arms for the rest. I can't wait to go back and study the art even longer and enjoy the gardens. It was a great day and good for my brain to enjoy a little culture.










Wow ! It looks/sounds fabulous! We have similar museums here but we would have to travel for 30-40 minutes to get to them...bummer.
ReplyDeleteThe Amphitheatre looks amazing..now I wish we did that kinda thing here!!!
Gemma x
Get out of the city! FREE! WOW : ) That is so cool! I love that your town has this. I try to drag Kaish to our museum once a summer. That O'Keefe is just lovely. Wishing you the bappiest week with your baby!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun little outing! That's amazing that it's free. I need to do some research on places here in KC.
ReplyDeleteThat's so great that it's FREE! You can't beat that :) When I studied abroad in Paris, the Louvre is free for students every Friday night. It was one of the coolest things we did there - no real tourists and museum in the dark :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the tour of the IMA - how lucky are you, Mr. Schalk & Cricket to be able to enjoy all it has to offer. My favorite picture is Greta studying the Van Gogh!
ReplyDeleteI love Georgia's work as well. I was excited to see my first original when we went to Roswell. I'm still planning on spending quite some time at the museum in Santa Fe next time I get up there.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day! No surprise she was tired out. I love that you are exposing her to the arts. How wonderful! xxoo
ReplyDeleteI miss the IMA! We used to go every year for French class. I never realized how spoiled we were growing up - Free Art Museum and the best ranked Children's Museum in the nation - I miss them both so much.
ReplyDeleteI love that Greta's getting it in young! Hopefully it won't be to much longer until I get to meet that sweetness!
Wow! I didn't know there was such a wonderful art museum so close to us and that it is free. We live close to Ft. Wayne IN. Okay, I'm making plans soon to take a day away there. I believe your daughter too is going to be an art enthusiast! What a wonderful thing to do as a family!
ReplyDelete♥Lee Ann