I've been itching to blog about something a bit more thought provoking than laundry and cinnamon rolls. Yet, these days it seems I am lucky to make it through the day on what little steam I have. I enjoy my thoughts and conversations in the car with Jesus, but it could create quite a little scene if I tried to write and drive. :) I often wonder if God carves out my commute to and from work for special time with him knowing that I cannot write anything down. Perhaps His intention is for my heart to fully grasp His will for me without feeling the need to vocalize it to anyone else. They are special times indeed.
On the way to work yesterday morning I heard a wonderful interview with a family that lives in Haiti. They began an education program 6 months before the earthquake devastated the Haitian community last year. Yes, it's been a year already. Hard to believe.
To be honest, I was going to change the station to music when the interview began. Then, for some reason (um, hi Jesus…thank you) I kept the dial right where it was.
There were so many good take aways from their reflections. What struck me most were two things:

The husband (oh if I could only remember their names) was very adamant that he did not do this interview, or promote his education program, for his own sake. He wanted to glorify God and encourage others to do what they have been called for. He said that we all are called to different areas. One person may not have a heart for Haiti, but they will be prompted to do something else. And he urged everyone to follow where God was leading them. Whatever it may be, wherever it may be (the block where your home is to the 3rd world country across the world). The only wrong answer is to do nothing. To feel too inadequate that you stand still is not a choice. Which led to the second take away.
The reality is that most of us will not be billionaire philanthropists who can save an entire nation at one time. Most of us are hard working, regular people who can do a little. But it's the "little" bit that does the most. So, if we have $5 or $1 give that. If we can make a meal for a neighbor do that. If we set aside prayer time each day, devote time in prayer for others. Be compassionate, be willing to give and be obedient. It may seem small, but it's those small things that truly magnify Christ's purpose for our lives and make the largest impact. This hit home for me as I often for guilty or inadequate for the "little" I am able to do. I was encouraged when the interviewee echoed God's truth in saying, "When God puts you on His course He does not then abandon you." What God sets in place He will see through to the finish. You and I can be sure of that!
He then gave the illustration of a beach. When we go to the beach we see…drum roll…a beach. But you know that a beach consists of millions and millions of pieces of little rocks. Those rocks, those tiny pieces of sand, are our small ways of giving. Put them together and God creates a beautiful beach of His children and His goals. It's not one big grain of sand, it's all of the grains put together. The body of Christ put together for God's big plan. (1 Corinthians 12 does a great job of illustrating this concept.)
Those are my thoughts mixed with their thoughts to create a rambling, yet heartfelt, post. Most of my day is filled with a mixture of work, errands, spending time with Mr. Schalk and thinking about little Cricket in my belly. Let's face it, baby fills a lot of my thinking, which is a very good thing! And just like a baby, I am taking baby steps toward a more purposeful life of obedience, joy and following with my whole heart after God's will.
I may not know exactly what the plan is or where I will end up, but isn't this sweet life more of a journey and a growth experience than an end result? I know my end result is in heaven with Jesus, and my goal is to tell of his goodness and mercy each new day I have. Yet, how that plays out in my personal walk I am not always sure. It seems God has always planned things far above what I can imagine for myself.
So, for me it is best just to be obedient and open because God's creativity is astounding. I don't want to miss out on the big things he has in store for my family (and for yours). They may seem small to others, but we all know what happens to small things.
Here's praying for an obedient and joyful heart. Even in the most uncertain time of my life I am certain of God's goodness and love for ALL of us.
And to think I almost changed the radio station.
xoxo, Rachel




Rachel,
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful!!! It is so true that being obedient to God is the best place to be.
A few years ago Mister and I were leading the Single Adult Ministry in our church. (30 somethings and up) We worked hard and followed the Lord. It was a hard group to reach, because there were a lot of wounded people who did not want to commit to participation, or involvement, whatever. But even when the participation wasn't there, because Mister and I were obedient, we felt wonderful about it. After all, it wasn't our ministry, it was God's. We were just following Him.
I could never, in a lifetime, express the gratitude I have toward our amazing God. And the joy He floods my being with.
It is such joy that I feel when I read your posts and rejoice with you in the "amazingness" of our Lord and the love we have for Him.
Beautiful post Rachel. I believe that we were sent here to become more like our Saviour and Heavenly Father in a beautiful journey which will lead us back home to them. The bad, the good, it's all for our benefit and our growth. Love it all. Love you! xxooo
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteRosemary directed me to this post....although I admit I have been reading your posts regularly!
What wonderful words of hope and encouragement
especially for this time in our lives. You and Brandon have so much to look forward too with the birth of your baby.....we are dealing with compassionate care for Tim's mom. The beginning of life and the end of life.....God's ultimate plan for all our lives.
May God continue to bless you ~ as your words have blessed me today!
Rachel, this is all so true and I SO enjoyed hearing (reading...) your thoughts/heart on the subject! I also love how the Lord uses my time in the car to grow my relationship with him, and although I do often wish I could write and drive at the same time, I tend to agree that sometimes I think those moments are meant JUST for me and Him.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the reminder and encouragement to be obedient to MY calling...He has a perfect plan just for me and that will always be enough (even when I'm not sure what it is)! And bonus, we get to be in community with others who have also been given such a plan! :)
You will be such an awesome mom as you continue to seek to honor Jesus with YOUR call!
Oh Rachel, I was listening to the same program on the radio on my way to work this past week. I too love my conversations with the Lord while I am alone driving in the car. Often about 15 minutes into my drive after I leave home, the sun comes up in this special spot and as I turn the corner, I feel like God is saying hello to me and saying "see I am here to follow you and take care of all of your concerns today". It is always such a special moment for me.
ReplyDeleteYou are going to be the most awesome mom Rachel.
♥Lee Ann