Archive

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Skirts & Muffins

I came to the realization this week that baby and I may no longer be a sweet secret...visually speaking. At the grocery it hit me, "Perhaps people can tell that I'm pregnant." I'm sure they've been able to tell for longer than I suspect. I'm seem to be a little slower on the uptake these days.

Thanks to my amazing friend Lotte and nicely timed Old Navy/Gap discounts and sales I am pleased to report I now have some cute clothes that fit me more properly (and are wayyyy more comfy!). And whoever invented skirts is a genius. They seem to fit much longer than my pants and being a shorty even the now popping belly doesn't make them too short. Thank you skirt inventor!

Print

I know, vital information to your morning coffee break, right?

Well, just for your taste bud pleasure here is a super yummy and quick recipe. Not quite the pumpkin I'm craving for, but these muffins definitely hit the spot. I didn't change anything in the recipe, but I did add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Also, I think I baked for 20 minutes instead of the 25-30 the original recipe called for.

We enjoyed them with a veggie/turkey bacon quiche for dinner. I loved the combo of cinnamon and blueberry and froze the extras for future breakfasts. Yum!

CinnamonBlueberryMuffin2-pola

Cinnamon Blueberry Muffins
Source: Gourmet July 2006 (via Epicurious)

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (7 1/2 oz)
  • Special equipment: a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups; 12 foil or paper muffin liners or cooking spray

  • Directions:

    1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Put liners in muffin cups in spray pan with cooking spray.

    2. Whisk together butter, brown sugar, milk, vanilla extract and egg in a bowl until combined well.

    3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add milk mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries gently.

    4. Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.

    Enjoy my sweet friends!

    xoxo, R

    5 comments:

    1. Rachel - I'm a firm believer in adding vanilla to recipes! I'm sure it improved the delicious muffins.
      I remember the first person who asked me if I was pregnant - it was so exciting! She was a client and then I got to remind her of her question about 15 years later...!
      Sounds like you're feeling terrific - I'm so glad.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You must keep the bump pics rolling!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love the bump! (and that sweater is a great colour of green!)

      ReplyDelete
    4. so cute. could you be any more adorbale... catching up on all that i missed since i have been a little absent. blessings and prayers to you...

      ReplyDelete

    .

    .

    About A Cupcake for Moose

    Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

    xo, Rachel

    All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!