Despite the fact that Mr. Weatherman has forecasted multiple days in the 90's this week (gasp!) I have definitely moved into the autumn mind set. Yes, I am still wearing summer sun dresses and open toe shoes, but my heart is not in it. Instead, I am gazing longingly at the cans of pumpkin and butterscotch pudding in my (now uber-organized) pantry.
Sidenote: Am I the only sicko that loves to organize her pantry? Dusting...no thank you, cleaning closets...gag, but cleaning/organizing a food pantry...oh yeah! But, I digress.....
Fall is on my mind and in my home. With a mere two weeks left of September it was an ideal time to get out the fall decor. I will certainly be sharing pictures soon. You may recognize most things from last year, but I think they are much prettier this go around. The placement is perfect! I can say that because I had little to do with it. Our home must have had fall on it's mind too because it's the perfect little home for cozy autumn lovin'.
Hot weather or not Sunday was all about the (upcoming) season. After church we drove to The Apple Store for some fresh cider slushies, apple doughnuts and a gallon of the good stuff (cider...yes it's pasteurized...yes it's still delicious). Most of the doughnuts found their way into the freezer. You know, a girl has to ration these sweet delicacies. Then, after a lovely Sunday afternoon nap it was time for football and...Hot Apple Cider. Okay, football was an all day event in Mr. Schalk's world, which is fine by me. Somehow he managed to get a ton done around the house and enjoy all his favorite games. How does that work? I need his secrets.
All I know is hot apple cider is comforting and delicious. Here is the recipe courtesy of my sweet mama. I found it perfectly flavored with just cinnamon sticks, brown sugar and nutmeg and chose not to add allspice or cloves. I was too excited to go the crock pot route, so I made mine on the stove. It was delicious and complimented my apple doughnut perfectly!
xoxo, R




Isn't fall just the best? :o) Can't wait to try the cider.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm totally with you on loving to organize! One time when we were visiting my best friend from college and her family I helped her organize her pantry. I had a blast, she thought I was crazy but appreciated the help :o)
Yay, I'm not the only one! We are definitely kindred spirits Nicole! :)
ReplyDeleteMy pantry is organized, as is my fridge with rows of the same things all lined up back to front like a grocery store shelf.
ReplyDeleteVery satisfying and simple!
oo your hot apple cider sounds delicious!!! I'm getting ready for Fall too! I really wish that the weather would start to cool down. I love all the pumpkins, multi-colored leaves, and caramel apple cider from Starbucks!
ReplyDeleteThe steam wafting off of the hot apple cider was calling to me. I swear I could almost smell it through the computer screen!
ReplyDeleteP.S. - Sent you couple of emails about your prize. Still waiting for you address to send you the package. Maybe you didn't get them? Please email me the details and I'll pop it in the mail!