On this 4th day of July when we all stop to celebrate our country, it is only appropriate to share a timeless sentiment from John Adams. One of our most influential founding fathers recognized the importance of celebrating this new emerging country with all the pomp and circumstance of the time. Fireworks did not exist in 1776, but you can bet your bottom dollar that cannons, guns and other various "noisemakers" were put into good use. He does not gloss over the hardships and troubles of the time, but does take a moment to revel in it's strength and God's glory. Mr. Adams felt this was to be a grand anniversary celebration after all.
So, as you eat your hamburgers and ooh and ahh over the pretty pyrotechnics, perhaps John's words will echo in your mind. Our country is a young one, not without trouble, but built on solid principles from good men like Mr. Adams. Above all, our God, the God of the whole world, is with us. So even if the times seem to be rocky, I am sure we can all agree that we are blessed to have freedom and the choice to celebrate as we wish.
Happy 4th everyone!

"The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival.

It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States.

Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph in that Days Transaction, even although We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."
-John Adams
(The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142)
Love this quote! I read the book and it was very inspirational. Thank you for reminding me.
ReplyDelete